Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Possible explanation for increases in gluten sensitivity?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Possible explanation for increases in gluten sensitivity?

by Mark Lipton » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:18 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:Mark,

I admit I am blindly swayed by much of the fearmongering regarding bad stuff in our food supplies. It just seems that we have blindly "progressed" in the ways of food production simply so fewer can feed more. And that just seems wrong.

I don't pretend to understand the actual science behind these modifications but it scares hell out of me. Just passed this article along as food for thought for those interested and to see what greater minds than mine think of it.

Thanks for your learned explanation. Now, where can I find some spelt bread to try. :)

I am far more concerned about what's been done to corn, which truly now is a Frankencrop. If you haven't read Michael Pollan's excellent Omnivore's Dilemma, you really should, as it lays out the issues very clearly in language that anyone (almost) can understand.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:01 pm

Agree about the corn. I don't even consider it a healthy food anymore in any form. And the fact that it is feed for our meat supply is a double whammy. And of course, HFS.

I still don't know if a sugar is a sugar is a sugar. Is it worse than "dehydrated cane syrup?"
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:05 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:Agree about the corn. I don't even consider it a healthy food anymore in any form. And the fact that it is feed for our meat supply is a double whammy. And of course, HFS.

I still don't know if a sugar is a sugar is a sugar. Is it worse than "dehydrated cane syrup?"

Perhaps predictably, I am less alarmist about HFCS than most. It's basically a mixture of glucose and fructose, which are the two constituents of table sugar. The ratio of the two in HFCS is designed to replicate the 1:1 ratio in table sugar. To me, the real issue is the ubiquity of HFCS, sugar, cane syrup and other sweeteners in all sorts of prepared foods. Most Americans are getting so much sugar in so-called "savory" foods that it totally skews their palate. This is probably the single biggest contributor to the growing epidemic of obesity in this country.

Mark Lipton
Previous