Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Spaghetti with a creamy spinach sauce = comfort food

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Spaghetti with a creamy spinach sauce = comfort food

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:21 pm

Is it pasta sauce, or good old creamed spinach?

A couple of months ago, I threw together a simple pasta dish of spaghetti tossed with chopped spinach, garlic butter and Parmigiano.

Tonight, with a bunch of excellent fresh spinach on hand and a wintry evening outside, it crossed my mind that I could turn something very similar into a warm, comfort-food alternative by mixing the sauted spinach mix into a thick bechamel flavored with grated Italian cheese and using that to make a creamy, rich pasta sauce.

It was as simple as this: Rough-chop a bunch of fresh spinach. Chop a little onion and a clove or two of garlic. Saute the onion and garlic in a little olive oil, then add the spinach and toss it quickly over heat just until it wilts. Set aside. Make a light bechamel, starting with a butter-and-flour roux and 3/4 cup milk; stir in a couple of tablespoons each Parmigiano-Reggiano and Grana Padano cheese when it’s thick. Stir in the sauteed spinach. Serve over pasta.

Whoa! I suddenly realized that without planning it that way, I had essentially re-invented creamed spinach. Oh, well, so this dish isn't really all that creative. But it sure was good! Take it from me, spinach in a cheesy. tangy white sauce atop a bowl of steaming spaghetti makes a mighty fine dinner.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Spaghetti with a creamy spinach sauce = comfort food

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Glad to see you back Robin with your recipes...this looks delicious!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:35 pm

This sounds great, and must have had interesting texture, too.
no avatar
User

Susan B

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 30, 2009 12:17 pm

by Susan B » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 pm

I was wondering what I'd do with the bunch of spinach my last guests left for us. Thanks.