The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hotstreak-5 good wines(Corsica,Burg,Pied,Loire,Mosel)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Hotstreak-5 good wines(Corsica,Burg,Pied,Loire,Mosel)

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:16 pm

Betsy was playing some Sufi music at an interfaith service in city, I had assorted leftovers and the 2012 Abbatucci “Gris Imperial” rose. Herby, fresh, light with a nice minerally finish. B/B+

Friday with a chicken/tomato saute with a 375 ml bottle of the 2010 Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet. Just a hint of that Ramonet mintiness, fleshy pit fruits but good acidity, pretty nice wine for drinking young (seems like it could age in full format, but why risk in age of the pox?) B/B+

Saturday we greeted a friend with the 2012 Falkenstein “Niedermenninger Herrenberg” Kabinett Riesling Trocken. Lightbodied, just a hint of sweetness, ginger and white peach. Long finish for such a light bodied Riesling, refreshing, buy more. B+

Dinner was grilled mustard/curry pork tenderloin, a mushroom (shiitake, maitake, oyster)-feta tart, and the 2012 Burlotto Verduno Pelaverga. Wow, this is fun! Nervy, pine and citrus peel accents over bright strawberry fruit, juicy, good length, nice versatile food wine. B+

David was joining us as we had dinner as Superbowl was starting. Cod in a chipotle broth, grilled vegetables, and brown rice, with the 2012 Huet “Clos du Bourg” Vouvray Sec. Nervy, waxy, wooly, long. Sec-tendre. Pretty much everything I want in drier Chenin Blanc. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Hotstreak-5 good wines(Corsica,Burg,Pied,Loire,Mosel)

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:39 pm

The Falkenstein wines are nice. That lightness is what attracts me to them the most.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Trier, Germany

by Lars Carlberg » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:55 pm

I'm glad you like it. Falkenstein's 2013s are promising. The Webers had no issues with botrytis. I re-tasted the 2013 Saar Rieslings from Fuder in early February. The wines are light and pure.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:29 am

Botrytis is an issue in 2013?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:27 pm

Interesting to hear your thoughts about the 2012 Huet, as the opinions about the quality of their wines from this vintage have been mixed.
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Trier, Germany

by Lars Carlberg » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:47 pm

It was a difficult harvest for most Mosel growers. The quantites were low in 2013. On the Mosel, it was often more than 30 percent less than in 2012. Many growers lost a lot of their crop due to the rainy harvest weather, as the grapes either fell to the ground or were affected by rot. Others had problems even before the harvest began and picked unripe grapes. In the Middle Mosel, some villages had quite high must weights because of botrytis-affected grapes. This was an issue for some Saar growers as well.