The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mostly Italian, with a Loire and a Burg as well

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Mostly Italian, with a Loire and a Burg as well

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:57 pm

A bit more snow, a bit more shoveling, then off to friends Saturday night for dinner. We were greeted with stuffed pickled peppers, and I opened a white I had brought along, the 2012 Pepiere “Briords” Muscadet. For a supposed weak Loire year, this keeps wowwing me (I realize the Loire is quite large). Rich fruit, nervy acidity, minerally finish, just lovely. A-

We sat down to Bolognese sauce and pasta with a side salad, and some wines:

2006 Crognolo
A superTuscan Sangio blend, ready to go, black cherry, leather, a little vanilla, not bad.. B/B-

2006 San Filippo Brunello di Montalcino
Not a producer I know, there’s some oak and I’d call this somewhat modern, but there is acidity to keep it fresh, cherry and red plum, not bad. B

2006 Anares Rioja Reserva
This was an open bottle from night before. Seemed disjointed and short, but not fair to really judge.

There was a decent if unexciting Minervois, but I forgot to note (Donjon?)

Sunday I made salmon, lentils with walnut oil, and broccoli, and opened the 2011 Jadot “Dominode” Savigny-les-Beaune 1er. Young but tasty, nervy, full, some tannins but drinking ok at moment. Better on night 2. B++

Tonight I made tofu/spinach (kind of saag paneer with tofu replacing paneer), a toor dal with carrots, and curried fennel. Wines was the 2007 Pacherhof Kerner. Herbal, floral, good acids, but not really convinced at first. But air does this a lot of good -pears and honeydew, a solid rocky streak, ginger. Full bodied, floral, I like this a lot, but at price point ($25-30) there’s a lot of competition. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Mostly Italian, with a Loire and a Burg as well

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:42 am

Ok, whatever posessed you to buy a Kerner?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:49 am

This was my first Pacherhof, but I'm a fan of Alto Adige Kerner (well, more accurately of the Koferhof Kerner). Not much use for German sweet Kerner.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:01 pm

2012 a weak loire vintage??? the ones i've tasted have been the best i've ever had in over 40 years. this is esp. true of muscadet and sancerre.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:43 pm

David Creighton wrote:2012 a weak loire vintage??? the ones i've tasted have been the best i've ever had in over 40 years. this is esp. true of muscadet and sancerre.

In Touraine, the heart of the Loire for white wine!
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:04 pm

sorry, i don't understand the point about Touraine. as an appellation? as the overall character of wines in the middle as opposed to muscadet in the west and sancerre in the east? i was merely expressing the results of my annual visits and tastings. the 2012's are simply the best overall i have ever had. but yes, the chenin from vouvray et. al. is also very fine. i think AC Touraine is now limited to SB.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:29 pm

David Creighton wrote:sorry, i don't understand the point about Touraine. as an appellation? as the overall character of wines in the middle as opposed to muscadet in the west and sancerre in the east? i was merely expressing the results of my annual visits and tastings. the 2012's are simply the best overall i have ever had. but yes, the chenin from vouvray et. al. is also very fine. i think AC Touraine is now limited to SB.

2012 was a brutal year in Touraine where growers lost a lot of grapes to spring-time frost and then had rain all summer. Are there any 2012 Vouvrays you prefer to their 2010 counterparts?

That said, I have bought some 2012 Huets and in general can find something to like. But best overall seems tough.

I guess if you've been visiting every year then you know the story, but here's some vintage reports/overviews:

http://winedisorder.com/comment/56/6787/?all=true#new
http://winedisorder.com/comment/56/6790/
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:01 am

ok, i'm not as familiar with vouvray as i am with other areas though i have liked some '12s quite a bit. but the stuff from muscadet and sancerre is truly memorable.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:51 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Ok, whatever posessed you to buy a Kerner?

David,

How many Kerners have you had from the Eisacktal?
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks for links to reports, Rahsaan. Tough year for growers- even if quality is good for Melon and SB, seems quantities way down in some cases (frost, late flowering, etc). Even tougher for grapes with later harvests (reds and CB). I also found Huets (only sec produced, correct?) to be good (well, not so sure re LHL) -close to great in case of CdBourg. But 2010 it is not.