Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Scalia gets one right

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

Scalia gets one right

by Jim Cassidy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: Scalia gets one right

by Tom Troiano » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:10 pm

I agree with him on this (and many other things) despite the fact that at this very moment I have 4-5 Lou Malnati's in my freezer.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:53 pm

Tom said:

I agree with him on this (and many other things) despite the fact that at this very moment I have 4-5 Lou Malnati's in my freezer.

So Malnati's makes a pretty good casserole? 8)
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:18 pm

Jim Cassidy wrote: So Malnati's makes a pretty good casserole? 8)

Yes. I like to have some in the freezer at all times.

A college roommate from Chicago sends me them from time time and I also order myself. They have a 6 pack (about $100) that I order.

http://www.tastesofchicago.com/category/Lou_Malnatis_Pizza
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:55 pm

Tom T.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:07 pm

Had dinner with Justice Scalia many years ago. Despite my disagreeing (vehemently) with his judicial decisions and philosophy, I have to say the man is a great conversationalist and knows of and cares about wine and food. On this judgment, he is infallibly correct. May be tasty; not pizza.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:43 am

Scalia is wrong. His definition is too broad. If it doesn't conform to VPN regulations, it ain't pizza.

:wink:
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:34 pm

Hoke wrote:Had dinner with Justice Scalia many years ago. Despite my disagreeing (vehemently) with his judicial decisions and philosophy, I have to say the man is a great conversationalist and knows of and cares about wine and food. On this judgment, he is infallibly correct. May be tasty; not pizza.

Really? Come on, details!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Jenise wrote:
Hoke wrote:Had dinner with Justice Scalia many years ago. Despite my disagreeing (vehemently) with his judicial decisions and philosophy, I have to say the man is a great conversationalist and knows of and cares about wine and food. On this judgment, he is infallibly correct. May be tasty; not pizza.

Really? Come on, details!

Did a competition judging by request for the folks at the Old Ebbits Grill in downtown D.C., to select the best wine with oysters. This was the final round of the competition, so I found myself across from Judge Scalia, surrounded by mounds of fresh-shucked Kumamoto oysters and various and sundry white wines, sparklers and Champagnes.

After the competition was over, we were invited upstairs for a private dinner. Turned out to be just a handful of us, so Scalia and I ended up together at a small table and a revolving service of platters and bottles. It was kinda Rabelaisian, actually.

Turned out, even though I was diametrically opposed to pretty much every single view he espoused and judicial opinion he handed down, Scalia was a delightful competition and dinner companion, was a marvellous conversationalist, and a true lover of wine and good food, largely inherited and trained by his Italian family to appreciate such, and told some great stories and anecdotes along the way.

I'm still heartily opposed to everything he stands for, but would gladly sit down to a dinner with him again.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:22 pm

I'm left of Scalia on this one. I love deep dish PIZZA!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:I'm left of Scalia on this one. I love deep dish PIZZA!

It sounds so good: but the ones I've had, including at the famous Chicago Uno? Sorry, no. Bland and wet inside, hard and tough crust outside. I don't get it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:04 pm

So you're not perfect, none of us are.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:54 pm

Hoke wrote:Turned out, even though I was diametrically opposed to pretty much every single view he espoused and judicial opinion he handed down, Scalia was a delightful competition and dinner companion, was a marvellous conversationalist, and a true lover of wine and good food, largely inherited and trained by his Italian family to appreciate such, and told some great stories and anecdotes along the way.

I'm still heartily opposed to everything he stands for, but would gladly sit down to a dinner with him again.

You could be quoting the eminent Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Hoke. AFAIK, she and Scalia still go out to the opera on a regular basis and are the closest of friends outside of the chambers.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:22 pm

Jenise wrote:

It sounds so good: but the ones I've had, including at the famous Chicago Uno? Sorry, no. Bland and wet inside, hard and tough crust outside. I don't get it.

Wow, really? I've had very little Chicago-style pizza in Chicago, but the local place that makes this stuff puts out an excellent product. The crust is crisp, with a bit of a cornmeal texture to it, but never hard. The toppings have both depth and complexity to them. Their pesto pizza is right at the top of my pizza hierarchy as is their sausage pizza. The only downside to them is that they can be somewhat inconsistent. I've been eating there for around 25 years and there have been a couple of times when something went wrong with the crust and it was not up to snuff. Otherwise, these are wonderful creations (although I do suspect that they run upwards of 1000 calories per slice).

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Wow, really? I've had very little Chicago-style pizza in Chicago, but the local place that makes this stuff puts out an excellent product. The crust is crisp, with a bit of a cornmeal texture to it, but never hard. The toppings have both depth and complexity to them. Their pesto pizza is right at the top of my pizza hierarchy as is their sausage pizza. The only downside to them is that they can be somewhat inconsistent. I've been eating there for around 25 years and there have been a couple of times when something went wrong with the crust and it was not up to snuff. Otherwise, these are wonderful creations (although I do suspect that they run upwards of 1000 calories per slice).

Where? :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:47 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:

Where? :lol:

Zelda's! 21st and N. It's been there forever and is a bit weird. It's small and dark inside, with a grungy atmosphere. There's a small bar where you will not get the latest in artisanal cocktails. I would not recommend going on a Friday or Saturday evening as the wait can be pretty ridiculous. We had a phone-in order to pick up last Friday night that took two hours to get done (something must have happened in the kitchen because it's normally 45 minutes). Check out Yelp for some comments on such things (including a somewhat pissed off review by yours truly).

Best is to go on a Wednesday or Thursday, phone your order in, and eat it when you get there. Second-best bet is to phone on your order and take it home.

- Julia Child