The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Two good cheapies

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

Two good cheapies

by Drew Hall » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:23 am

On the recommendation of my wine guy these two wines were enjoyed over the last several days of snow.

2011 Mas Carlot "Les Enfants Terribles. 50% Mourvedre and 50% Syrah from old vines. Purity of fruit, spice and a touch of herbs and funk make this wayyy to easy to drink. I think a good bbq wine. $12

2012 BODEGAS ATALAYA Laya (D.O.P. Almansa, Spain) 70% Garnacha Tintorera and 30% Monastrell also billed as old vines. Another wine showing purity of fruit with good acidity and balance showing blackberry and dark cherry flavors with an attractive light hand of oak. A perfect wine for a crowd that's not contrived or overly sweet. $9

Drew
Mas Carlot.gif
laya.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Two good cheapies

by Hoke » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:41 pm

Can't speak for the second, but I'll enthusiastically support the first, the Mas Carlot, Drew.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:46 pm

The LAYA--same winery that makes the CLIO? Label looks familiar.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:31 pm

Drew, I have had the Mas Carlot several times, albeit not in quite a while. Now, maybe I need to go see if it is even available in my area anymore.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:59 am

Jenise wrote:The LAYA--same winery that makes the CLIO? Label looks familiar.

Yes Jenise...very observant! The wine is made by the Juan Gil family and your CLIO is a joint venture between Juan Gil and Oz winemaker Chris Ringland.

Drew
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:04 am

The Carlot was available locally at one time. Unfortunately, I had not seen it in awhile and had all but forgotten about it. Definitely a good QPR.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:43 pm

I've also enjoyed the Laya. I had a glass of the 2012 vintage at a wine bar in Winston-Salem and purchased two bottles for $8.49 each.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:40 pm

Drew, thanks. Because of your note and JC's endorsement, I noticed this when shopping locally yesterday and will include it in the "March Madness" tasting I'm doing for the neighborhood next month.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov