The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Failla, Domaine Eden, Sutton, Preston

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Failla, Domaine Eden, Sutton, Preston

by Brian K Miller » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:01 pm

Had quite an enjoyable rainy wine weekend here in Northern California!

2012 Failla "Sonoma Coast" Pinot Noir. My first Failla wine. People in the know have told me about Failla, and I have to say I quite enjoyed this...definitely on the savory side of Pinot with some minerality???? underlying the rich fruit. Really nice finish. Quite enjoyable Pinot.

2008 Domain Eden Cabernet Sauvignon (Santa Cruz Mountains, above Saratoga, CA). This is not really a "second label" for Mount Eden Winery...this is the second property they acquired more recently. Delicious classic cassis and berry fruit, with blazing acidity and a really fresh mouth feel. Fantastic wine!

2002 Sutton Cellars Sonoma (Russian River Valley) Pinot Noir. I quite like Steve Sutton's high acid, taut style of wines, and this pinot was delicious with FRIED CHICKEN! Fresh and delicious acid on the front of the palette, with rich sweet pomegranite fruit coming out on the mid point and lasting forever. A bit of interesting funkyness also showing up but not overwhelming in any way. Not old or tired AT ALL, this was still full of amazing fruit! Delicious stuff, but this is the vineyard the new owners allowed to be destroyed by deer, so no more. :( Steve said that pinot fruit is now so expensive he will probably stick to Carrignan from now on, but one can hope!

2012 Preston Family Vineyards Organic (No Sulfur) Syrah. A wow wine. Very high-toned, lighter style of Syrah (13.5% abv). Awesome high toned red plum fruit, plenty of acid, plenty of funkyness. And flowers. This may be one of the most floral American Syrahs I have ever tried. It verged on Lacrima di Morro d'Alba!!!! :lol: Totally unique wine, and I am happy to have another bottle!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....Huh???

by TomHill » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:36 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Had quite an enjoyable rainy wine weekend here in Northern California!

2012 Failla "Sonoma Coast" Pinot Noir. My first Failla wine. People in the know have told me about Failla, and I have to say I quite enjoyed this...definitely on the savory side of Pinot with some minerality???? underlying the rich fruit. Really nice finish. Quite enjoyable Pinot.

EhrenJordan makes some of the finest Pinots (and Syrahs) in Calif. He just doesn't get much buzz. His Estate Pinot (and Syrah) from way out on
the SonomaCoast are some of Calif's finest.

2012 Preston Family Vineyards Organic (No Sulfur) Syrah. A wow wine. Very high-toned, lighter style of Syrah (13.5% abv). Awesome high toned red plum fruit, plenty of acid, plenty of funkyness. And flowers. This may be one of the most floral American Syrahs I have ever tried. It verged on Lacrima di Morro d'Alba!!!! :lol: Totally unique wine, and I am happy to have another bottle!

Huh??? LdMdA?? Nobody, but nobody knows about that grape. It can make a pretty impressive red. MickUnti has some planted at UntiVnyds. Not made
a single varietal yet, though.
You ever had Visciola, Brian?? That's a wine made from LdMdA w/ cherries macerated in it. Amazing stuff. K&L has it sometimes. Amazingly good.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Yup....Huh???

by Brian K Miller » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:55 pm

TomHill wrote:
Huh??? LdMdA?? Nobody, but nobody knows about that grape. It can make a pretty impressive red. MickUnti has some planted at UntiVnyds. Not made
You ever had Visciola, Brian?? That's a wine made from LdMdA w/ cherries macerated in it. Amazing stuff. K&L has it sometimes. Amazingly good.
Tom

for some reason, a couple of my favorite shops carry this unique varietal. Have to admit I find it more "interesting" than "good", but it rocked with the Italian Lentil Soup in Napa!

Visciola sounds interesting! I will look for it.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup...

by TomHill » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:40 am

Brian K Miller wrote:
TomHill wrote:
Tom

for some reason, a couple of my favorite shops carry this unique varietal. Have to admit I find it more "interesting" than "good", but it rocked with the Italian Lentil Soup in Napa!

Visciola sounds interesting! I will look for it.

Yup.....I would say that that's an accurate take on the variety. Of course, LdMdA has been labeled by a certain Monktown attourney
as "godforsaken", so we know it'll never make a "good" wine.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Failla, Domaine Eden, Sutton, Preston

by Jenise » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:52 pm

Preston...Sonoma? Been around about 30 years or more? If so, I'm surprised (but glad) to know they're still around, I just don't see the name anymore.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup.....

by TomHill » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:14 pm

Jenise wrote:Preston...Sonoma? Been around about 30 years or more? If so, I'm surprised (but glad) to know they're still around, I just don't see the name anymore.

Yup, Jenise...they're still around. But the wines, to my experience, are only a shadow of their former selves. I think Lou has lost interest
in the wine side of the business. At one time, he was cutting edge. Last time I was in there about 5 yrs ago, the bread Lou bakes was the
highlight of my visit. A shame, because he grows some very good grapes. I was always amused by his FauxCastel Rhone field blend
that he made for several yrs until the Perrins came down hard on him.
Tom