The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Colorado-Calif Wine Connections

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Colorado-Calif Wine Connections

by TomHill » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Very interesting blog post today by KyleSchlacter:
COWinePress:CO-CA Wine Connections

in which he details the many Colorado folks who have made significant contributions to the Calif wine industry.

The first was WarrenWiniarski, who was the winemaker for a yr or two, at IvancieCllrs in Denver. Using grapes imported from Calif. I never got to meet Dr.Ivancie, but have visited w/ Warren a number of times over the yrs (he was a foil fencer at StJohn's/Annapolis...so we often talk a bit of fencing). The wines were not very good and Warren will just sorta roll his eyes and acknowledge as much. Dr.Ivancie's daughter is a good friend of mine & lives here in SantaFe.

Kyle's blog on CO wines is quite interesting and one that I read on a regular basis.

Anyway...quite a well-written article and a very good read; especially for anyone who has followed Colrado wines "from the very start".
Tom
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Re: Colorado-Calif Wine Connections

by Craig Winchell » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:51 pm

Dang, man. I was a foil/epee fencer too. Foil, midatlantic conference (Haverford), but I was lousy by that time- drugs, you know. I was much better as a teen pre-drugs, qualifying for nationals in men's division, and of course midwest under 19. I'm just surprised that you and WW were, as it was never a very popular sport. Warren is also the first person in wine I've ever heard of out of St John's and their great books program. Tried to get my daughter to go there, but alas, no.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup.....

by TomHill » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Craig Winchell wrote:Dang, man. I was a foil/epee fencer too. Foil, midatlantic conference (Haverford), but I was lousy by that time- drugs, you know. I was much better as a teen pre-drugs, qualifying for nationals in men's division, and of course midwest under 19. I'm just surprised that you and WW were, as it was never a very popular sport. Warren is also the first person in wine I've ever heard of out of St John's and their great books program. Tried to get my daughter to go there, but alas, no.

Craig,
Pretty serious about epee. Teach foil but don't fence it competitively.
As you say, fencing is not a very popular sport. But those of us who do, love it.
Don't suppose you knew an AsaHopkins, who fenced epee at Haverford??
Tom
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Re: Colorado-Calif Wine Connections

by Craig Winchell » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:43 am

Your guess is as good as mine. It was a long time ago. Right department, too, as I was a physics major. Chances are I knew him, if we were there at the same time. I dropped out because of the pot and acid and lack of classroom attendance , and I don't remember too much of the experience. I only fenced my sophomore year, as I had transferred from University of Louisville, my Junior year is a blur, punctuated by a few murky memories, but I know that fencing seemed unimportant. I don't remember any names from that time of my life. Even without the drugs, nearly 40 years is a long time to carry useless archived memories.

As an aside, that experience was pivotal in my becoming a winemaker, as dropping out allowed me, eventually , to land a job managing a wineshop in Greenwich Village, which I enjoyed so much that I duplicated it elsewhere, which cause me to think of it as a potential career, which caused me to apply to Davis. Otherwise, I might be a physics geek somewhere, immersed in a lab, and hypothesis testing of esoterica for knowledge' sake and for fun but probably not profit.