Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Your favourite uses for cumin?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Laura Brand-Bauer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Hanover, Michigan

Re: Your favourite uses for cumin?

by Laura Brand-Bauer » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:40 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Laura, could you expound on how you use cumin in your eggs? I sometimes use salsa in my scrambled eggs, and I also use 1-2 of the big Jim's that I spoke of in my note to Paul. I do love the flavors of the great southwest.

I tend to make a lazy omelet style - stir up the eggs with a fork in a measuring cup, sprinkle in ground cumin. Nothing exotic. Sometimes I just sprinkle it on top while it's cooking. Sometimes add some onions or cheese or green peppers or whatnot, but it's all just a vehicle for cumin to me. I definitely don't relate to the "a little goes a long way crowd." :D

There's also the Indian cucumber/yogurt/ground cumin salad. Yum.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:56 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Green chile is good in everything. You've probably noticed that after freezing the skins come off easily. I usually peel them before freezing, though, so there's less volume.

Larry, not peeling them before freezing was a product of me getting in a hurry because of time constraints, I put a half dozen peppers into quart size Ziploc bags, then about six of those into gallon size ziploc, so I can use them as needed, and like you say, they are easier to peel.

The state tree of New Mexico is the nut pine, and I suppose the pine nut is the state nut. If you recall I have a small bag of them, and the instructions for shelling them is to hold between the thumb, and the knuckle of the first finger and squeeze. I must be some kind of soft handed dainty thing, but that doesn't seem to work for me. Am I supposed to do something to them first? maybe roast them in the oven? or soak them or something?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:00 pm

[quote="Bob Henrick The state tree of New Mexico is the nut pine, and I suppose the pine nut is the state nut. If you recall I have a small bag of them, and the instructions for shelling them is to hold between the thumb, and the knuckle of the first finger and squeeze. I must be some kind of soft handed dainty thing, but that doesn't seem to work for me. Am I supposed to do something to them first? maybe roast them in the oven? or soak them or something?[/quote]

Maybe you're living too close to some Kryptonite. I would have sent you the unshelled if they hadn't been out of them (but they're much, much more expensive).

Shelling pinon nuts is not easy--just think what the early natives went through. You can buy a Davebilt sheller for about $100, try a tack hammer one at a time or see if this link will help http://www.janeechandlerfineart.com/capturing_the_pinones.html
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:28 pm

I hadn't seen your post when I posted mine on heads on pikes, which also involves cumin.

The hard ingredient for that recipe is gunpowder plotters......
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:01 pm

Fajitas.
Previous