Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fully Cooked Pork Belly at Trader Joe's?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Fully Cooked Pork Belly at Trader Joe's?

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:33 pm

They say is comes to them from a supplier from the Midwest who supplies fully cooked pork belly to restaurants...that is why so many restaurants are featuring pork belly now; getting it fully cooked and doing the final prep in-house. Has anyone tried this product from Trader Joe's? I have heard a lot about pork belly but never have tried it. What are your favorite ways to use it?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Fully Cooked Pork Belly at Trader Joe's?

by Jenise » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:01 pm

Haven't tried it. Not a fan of pre-mades, but I probably would give this a try just because.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:37 pm

I saw it in the new circular and m really tempted to try it.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:25 pm

I had one of the best preparations of pork belly I've tried at The Playground last night. Lots of meat, somewhat like what you get from a really really good piece of chicharron. The former sous chef, Eddie Perez, at Ink in LA served it to us as one of his 13 courses to the lucky 17 of us eating in the Playground 2.0 theater kitchen (http://playgrounddtsa.com/2-0-calendar/).

He slow roasted it for four hours, then put a sear in a reduction sauce before he plated.. and served it with a banana "polenta" (see the pic below).

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t31/p180x540/1519188_10202019000174710_885331622_o.jpg

So, maybe the TJ's pork belly could be treated similarly. I'm going to try it..
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:46 pm

Pork belly is a common ingredient in Chinese cuisine. Two popular dishes that spring to mind are red-cooked pork (hong shao rou) and Sichuan twice-cooked pork (hui guo rou). The latter appears on lots of Chinese restaurant menus in the USA, but usually made with a leaner cut of pork than the traditional pork belly.

-Paul W.