Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Egg In Avocado

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Egg In Avocado

by Hoke » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Saw something on Facebook that was intriguing.

It was one of those "suggested posts"---meaning an advertorial, of course---and the picture caught my eye. The come on was for cardiac health yadayada. Ten Second Miracle yadayada.

But the picture was of half an avocado with an egg in the avocado. Wasn't sure if the egg was roasted or broiled; couldn't tell for sure in the pic. But it looked like it was oven roasted until the egg got "poached" in the avocado. The avocado was slightly drier on top from the roasting And then they sprinkled black pepper on the whole thing.

1. It was intriguing.

2. I immediately started thinking, "Hmmm. Do I WANT an egg and avocado together like that?" Does that appeal to me, tastewise?

Any thoughts? Anybody have this already? Any thoughts on prep?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Egg In Avocado

by Jenise » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Hoke, Geoffrey Zakarian did an egg in avocado dish on some food channel competition. I don't recall the particulars, and I vaguely remembering wanting to know more--as if they didn't show the entire process on screen, but I could be wrong-- but obviously it was warmed in some way and the result was just gorgeous and impressed the hell out of the judges. I don't eat egg yolks, but it made me wish I did. Anyway, there might be some record of his method somewhere.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:32 pm

There are a zillion recipes online, with lots of tout about the Paleo diet and omega acids and so on.

I think I prefer my avocado cold.

If you want to put an egg in something, let's talk Scotch Eggs, shall we? :D
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:38 pm

i saw something with an egg in an avacado recently - can't remember where. oh, i do remember - some email from a 'taste.... ' thing. the photo clearly showed an avacado and the accompanying story mentioned the avacado. then you click on the recipe and all of a sudden - NO avacado!! the recipe was for something completely different from the photo and writeup. darndest thing. however i do like the combination a lot. i serve sliced avacado with sliced hard cooked egg and vinegrette. love it.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:32 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:There are a zillion recipes online, with lots of tout about the Paleo diet and omega acids and so on.

Avocado has a reputation for turning bitter under high heat, but gentle cooking/warming works out well.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:27 pm

I love fried egg sandwiches with cold, sliced avocado on top. Plus, avocado cubes are wonderful in scrambled eggs, with a little heavy cream! A match made in heaven. Sliced hard boiled eggs, and avocado slices in a butter lettuce leaf, with a little salt and pepper, roll up the little package and eat...so good. Also good, is browned butter slathered on hot toast, with sliced avocados and hard boiled egg slices for breakfast.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:39 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:There are a zillion recipes online, with lots of tout about the Paleo diet and omega acids and so on.

If you want to put an egg in something, let's talk Scotch Eggs, shall we? :D

Had some of those Scotch Eggs not long ago. Pretty damned good ones too.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:42 pm

Of course .....caviar filling the cavity of an avocado half is the first thing I do with freshly made caviar. I somehow think that may be slightly different.
Speaking of caviar, the sturgeon season opens in 3weeks. The ice is thickening. I hope the water is clear
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Susan B

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 30, 2009 12:17 pm

by Susan B » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:51 pm

A wonderful little restaurant in Pioneer Square in Seattle used to serve a dish of sliced hard boiled eggs, buttery croutons and cubes of avocado. I can not remember the sauce, but the dish was heavenly, ableit not low calorie. It was warm, but not baked. I have searched for a similar recipe, but had no luck. I think the egg and avocado combination is brilliant.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:30 pm

This recipe from Serious Eats looks pretty much like what was described in the original post. It also looks like something I would definitely eat. 8)

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013 ... ecipe.html

And a similar dissertation in The Kitchn.

http://www.thekitchn.com/healthy-hearty ... ado-165707

I think I want to try this ...
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:This recipe from Serious Eats looks pretty much like what was described in the original post. It also looks like something I would definitely eat. 8)

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013 ... ecipe.html

And a similar dissertation in The Kitchn.

http://www.thekitchn.com/healthy-hearty ... ado-165707

I think I want to try this ...

Try it, Mikey. And give us a report. :D
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:13 pm

On the one hand I'm not sure I want a hot avocado -- although I have "striped" avocado halves on the grill and they were good.

On the other hand I have often combined avocado and egg and I think the combination is wonderful. We have had the opportunity to make many breakfasts for company and relatives recently and I have been working through variations of this

Cook thick cut (applewood smoked) bacon, one rasher per customer. Cook up a mess of grits, using some milk with the water and crumbling in some cheddar cheese. One duck egg per diner, boil exactly seven minutes ("hard" soft boil) and plunge into cold water to stop cooking. Plate the grits (rim soup bowls are good) and on top of the grits -- some paprika, some fried slivered shiitake mushrooms fried with sliced garlic cloves, a chunk of avocado (maybe a quarter) and a slice of tomato (maybe a quarter). Salt and pepper, serve with crunchy toast and crunchy bacon. Tear open the egg to display the gooey golden yolk.

People often say "I wasn't sure the avocado would go with it but it was great" -- poking the moist egg yolk with the toast is satisfying and after a few bites everything mixes down with the grits so you are finishing with a combination of flavors.