The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent tastes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Recent tastes

by Florida Jim » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:02 am

1990 McDowell, Cabernet Sauvignon Mendocino:
12.8% alcohol; some bricking at the edge, medium garnet; expansive nose with bottle bouquet, plum, herb and iodine aromas; rich and almost lush in the mouth but without weight, solid fruit flavors with considerable complexity, accents of earth, brush and herbs, maybe even some mint; good length and no drying tannins. More like an older Bordeaux than expected and no hint of decay. Fine wine.

2008 Drouhin-Laroze, Gevrey-Chambertin:
13.5% alcohol; beautiful nose of fruit and earth with a touch of spice, very alluring; silk in the mouth and complete, clearly Burgundy in delivery and weight, mouth-watering; good length that is every bit as delightful as the palate and nose. Charming in so many ways and as pretty a pinot noir as I have had in awhile.

N/V Louis Roederer, Champagne Brut Premier:
12% alcohol; vigorous bead; smells slightly of fruit and bread; clear, clean taste with lively acidity and the texture of light mousse. I know little of Champagne but I enjoyed this and would be happy to drink it any time.

2009 Ladd Cellars, Pinot Noir Cuvée Abigail:
14.5% alcohol; feminine but not frail, this Sonoma Coast pinot has the texture of satin with good fruit (both treble and bass notes) and some nice earthy/spicy accents, starting to close down just a little, decanter time helps. Seductive is an often over-used descriptor but here, it is warranted. A lovely pinot with as pleasing a texture as any I can remember.

2011 Centonze, Frappato:
12% alcohol; a deft, lightweight, pure wine with supple fruit, an elegant delivery and surprising sustain. The style reminds me of Beaujolais but the flavors are all frappato. Charming wine and less than $20, retail.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

Re: WTN: Recent tastes

by ChaimShraga » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:31 am

I just had a Roederer NV, too, although of course who knows whether the one I had is similar to yours. I enjoyed it a lot, opening it on NYE as I wanted the immediacy of a non-vintage, as opposed to the depth of a vintage, and I got what I wanted, a balance between freshness and depth, with all the typical accruements of Champagne: apples, some toast and minerals.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:39 am

The big house NV wines get painted with a Moët White Star sized brush, but some are really good and some also offer good value. The Roederer heads both lists.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:57 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The big house NV wines get painted with a Moët White Star sized brush, but some are really good and some also offer good value. The Roederer heads both lists.

For big house fizz, I'll take the current NV Piper-Heidsieck over the Roederer, based on a dinner that included both at Thanksgiving: a bit more precision to the P-H and a more refined mousse. YMMV of course.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:09 pm

I have heard good things about P-H, but have not had the opportunity to try a recent bottle. I'm looking though.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:39 pm

Based on our recent favorable experience with P-H I just bought a half case of magnums on-line.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:56 pm

The Louis Roederer NV was the top wine when we last had it in our annual sparkling wine tasting, though Taittinger "La Francaise" was the top wine once again this year. Piper-Heidsieck was not in the mix, though I've heard good things about recent improvements @ P-H. All lovely stuff. I'll never forget our hotel in Aix-en-Provence (Hotel Cezanne) had Henriot on the breakfast bar right beside the orange juice. I had to have a glass.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman