Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Meaty red lentils 2.0

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Meaty red lentils 2.0

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:43 pm

Meaty red lentils 2.0

with coconut milk dish I made recently, posted here as "Meaty" flavor in a plant-based red lentil dal, was more than good enough to justify a reprise tonight, but naturally I couldn't do it again without trying a change or two.

So, behold, "Meaty red lentils 2.0"!

I stuck with the same basic recipe (available by clicking the link above), but made two key changes.

First, after the lentils were almost done, I stirred in 1 cup thawed frozen lima beans. (Fresh cooked limas, if available, would have been great, too.) This was a splendid addition, adding color, flavor and a compatible texture to the finished dish.

Then, I served the dish over a mound of steaming mashed potatoes! This was a brilliant idea (for which I credit my wife); and while it would have worked well with standard mashed P's, it was even better with an Indian-style variation: I peeled, cubed and simmered two medium baking potatoes, then mashed them with an aromatic liquid mix of yogurt, a splash of coconut milk, cumin and turmeric and a hefty dose of black pepper.

The dal and mashed potato mix made a deeply consoling, deliciously flavorful combination. I'll definitely do this again.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Meaty red lentils 2.0

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:31 pm

As always, your descriptions and photos make my mouth water. I'd love to be able to cook like that more, but alas, I am married to a former meat guy who came from a meat and potatoes family. He has been good to me for over 50 years however and eats whatever I desire to cook. I know he would only tolerate food like that in small batches and at 80 years old, I am not about to change him....plus that fact that over the past two years he stays at 15 pounds under weight, and friends ask me if I am feeding him! Seems like that is all I do is cook. :lol: I am sneaking more and more meat free meals in though and have not heard a peep.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Meaty red lentils 2.0

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:04 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:As always, your descriptions and photos make my mouth water. I'd love to be able to cook like that more ...

Karen, thanks for the kind words! In my opinion, you and Gene are doing exactly the right things for you, and I applaud that. :) If you ever do try one of these dishes, though, do let me know how they come out and what you do to change them. :)