The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

OKay, next WTSO question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

OKay, next WTSO question

by Jenise » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:56 pm

Is there any wine Jonathan Newman DOESN'T give 92 points to? :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: OKay, next WTSO question

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:04 pm

Never looked at the points
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:09 pm

I have seen him give out a "90+" rating on occasion. Can't recall ever seeing a "91" or a "93".

I am concerned about vintners making "Newmanized" wine to gain his favor. Not sure what exactly such a wine would be since John seems to like everything.

For any Newman point chasers out there WTSO is offering a 92 point Casa de la Cruz Chardonnay as I type. Get it while it's hot!
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:21 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Never looked at the points

Even if you don't live by points, the emails are brief enough that it's hard to avoid noticing--or noting that it's always 92 points!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:39 pm

Sam Platt wrote:I have seen him give out a "90+" rating on occasion. Can't recall ever seeing a "91" or a "93".

I am concerned about vintners making "Newmanized" wine to gain his favor. Not sure what exactly such a wine would be since John seems to like everything.

For any Newman point chasers out there WTSO is offering a 92 point Casa de la Cruz Chardonnay as I type. Get it while it's hot!

And today we have a Sonoma Chardonnay--yup, 92 points!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:40 pm

Oh wait, there's also a Santa Maria "crowd pleaser" pinot.

92 points!
no avatar
User

Alex Judge

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:09 pm

New York, NY

by Alex Judge » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:47 pm

Personally I've never really trusted his ratings but according to the note at the bottom:

*Jonathan Newman was Wine Enthusiasts’ Man of the Year... received national recognition in... many other international wine publications. He was also awarded the Guild of Sommeliers highest honor... published and quoted extensively online and in print... evaluates many of the wines we source from smaller and boutique wineries. We interact closely with him and the result is his rejection rate of over 96% of the wines evaluated.

1. 96% rejected, other 4% get 92s?

2. Isn't there some kind of a conflict of interest here in that if Newman rates them high they (theoretically) sell better, meaning WTSO makes more money? And with WTSO paying him (presumably)...
-Alex
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:16 pm

Alex Judge wrote:Personally I've never really trusted his ratings but according to the note at the bottom:

*Jonathan Newman was Wine Enthusiasts’ Man of the Year... received national recognition in... many other international wine publications. He was also awarded the Guild of Sommeliers highest honor... published and quoted extensively online and in print... evaluates many of the wines we source from smaller and boutique wineries. We interact closely with him and the result is his rejection rate of over 96% of the wines evaluated.

1. 96% rejected, other 4% get 92s?

2. Isn't there some kind of a conflict of interest here in that if Newman rates them high they (theoretically) sell better, meaning WTSO makes more money? And with WTSO paying him (presumably)...

I never saw that fine print, but isn't that hilarious. Your item #1 would appear to be the correct summary. I do recall seeing one 90 point score from him in the weeks I've been watching, but literally everything else is 92. Also, when they sometimes include another rating? 100% of the time, Newman's rating is higher.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:43 pm

way back when, Jonathan was Chairman of the PLCB and his picks were called Chairman's Picks..Now he is a "consultant"..Frankly I never paid much attenmtion to his puffery back in the PLCB days tho some of his picks had decent prices and I pay less attention to them now
Jon
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:52 am

Yes! There is a Newman 93 point Moffett cab on WTSO this morning. As much as it pains me to do so I am going to take a pass.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:37 pm

Alex Judge wrote:*Jonathan Newman was Wine Enthusiasts’ Man of the Year... received national recognition in... many other international wine publications. He was also awarded the Guild of Sommeliers highest honor... published and quoted extensively online and in print... evaluates many of the wines we source from smaller and boutique wineries. We interact closely with him and the result is his rejection rate of over 96% of the wines evaluated.

I'm pretty sure that Newman's MotY award when he was chair (a political appointment) of the PLCB. In his company website it says "During his 7½ years as the largest wine purchaser in the U.S. " which is a bit like calling Chuck Hagel the largest firearm purchaser in the world.
As to the 96% rejection rate, I'm betting more based on discount offered than taste.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:36 pm

What the heck...checking in for fun and what comes up right now? :

Anaba Chardonnay 2010
Sun Chase Vineyard
Sonoma Coast

A Spectacular Sonoma Mountain Chardonnay from the Highly Regarded Cult Winery, Anaba, at Stunning Savings!

92+ Points - Jonathan H. Newman!

:P

Damn you guys are goood!