The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: NYE Eve, NYE, New Years Day

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: NYE Eve, NYE, New Years Day

by Dale Williams » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:25 am

Monday we went to Betsy’s sister for a light dinner (salads and cheeses ) and to exchange presents. Couple of wines were opened

2004 Mugnier “Clos de Marechale” Nuits St George 1er Cru
While I’m not especially pyrazine sensitive, I had found a bottle of this a couple years ago to be seriously flawed by greenie meanies. But decided to bring one and give it a shot. Surprised, there’s some light pine needle and herb notes here, but nothing like what I remembered. Black cherries, smoke, oregano. Medium acids, tannins receding. Pleasant if not profound. B

2011 Mas de Gourgonnier Rouge (Les Baux de Provence)
Very herby, pepper, dark fruits, juicy and fun. B/B+

We were planning a quiet NYE, but got a call from Dave and Mary Kate inviting us to her parents’ home- they were cooking dinner. A nice table of 9, with fish tacos, goat tacos, chorizo tacos (and all the trimmings) , roasted kale, arugula salad

2010 Tilia Malbec-Cabernet Sauvignon
Fruit driven, juicy, straighforward and well-done. B-/B

2011 Mark West Pinot Noir
I found this a bit clipped and cloying, others liked more. C+

2011 Occhipinti Frappato
Killer, ripe cherries, earth, iron, smoke. A-

2010 Bosco Falconeria Catarratto
I carried this as I thought MK’s parents and siblings would like to taste a wine from estate they worked this summer, but it was corked

Home for some oysters we had gotten for an appetizer, with the 2011 Michelot Bourgogne blanc. Intensely lemony, green apple, good food wine. B

We puttered around the house, but made it till the ball drop, with a toast with the NV Pierre Peters “Cuvee de Reserve” Blanc des Blancs. Chalk, peach blossoms, biscuit dough, bright and refreshing. B+/A-

We got a last minute invite for New Year’s lunch, were greeted with the NV Tribaut Brut, nice crispness, but a little coarse and a tad sweet. B-
Lunch was saffron risotto (made by a talented 11 year old!), a mushroom/tomato salad, and braised endive. I had carried along a 1966 Ch. du Tertre as it is host’s birthyear, and I wanted to try my new Durand (I liked!). Wine was showing a bit tired, but still had some interest- leather and wet leaves over some black cherry fruit, nice complexity, but some hints of prune and ashtray make me guess this would have been better 10-20 years ago. B-

New Year’s dinner was Judy Rodger’s chicken bouillabaisse , but of course with blackeyed peas (actually black eyed pea cakes made with corn meal, a recipe from Atlanta Journal-Con last week) and collard greens. Gamay seemed like a nice light way to start year, so we went with the 2011 Chermette (Domaine du Vissoux) “Cuvee Traditionelle” Beaujolais. A little tight at first, opens well, full for Beaujolais AC, cherries and raspberries, earth tones, good acids, singing. B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: NYE Eve, NYE, New Years Day

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Occhipinti Frappato! I keep on reading about this wine but find up here.....nnnaaaagh :evil:.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:59 pm

That Mugnier wine has its adherents and its detractors. Completely typical of the 2004 vintage.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:39 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Occhipinti Frappato! I keep on reading about this wine but find up here.....nnnaaaagh :evil:.

Not enough to go around out here in CA, very hard to obtain. I was able to score some being in the business, great juice for the money IMHO.