Appear /WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Appear /WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:03 am

B SD
Interesting how two people may see the same sight and can see it differently.
In fact they say that no two people can see a rainbow in the same exact way because they are physicaly not at the same angle. Even within the same person there is possibility for difference in how we see what we see.
Perhaps the harmony can be found in the blend of what we want to see with what is actualy seen.
Have a good one; H
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Appear /WeeksEnd wine

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Shavua tov Harry,

Friday night:

GHW, Golan, Cabernet Sauvignon 2011: Still solid QPR.

Shabbat lunch:

Tishbi, French Riesling 2012: Decent off-dry quaffer with salads.

Recanati, Reserve, Cabernet Sauvignon 2008: Dark purple with on the nose ripe cassis, blackberries with hints of spices, dark chocolate and toasty oak. Full-bodied, bold and concentrated with one the palate again plenty of black fruit including currants and blackberries with a touch of jammy blueberries going on to reveal notes of oriental spices, cigar box and dark chocolate with good acidity and integrating tannins all in good balance on the long finish. Excellent wine. 14% Abv.

Binyamina, Reserve, Cabernet Sauvignon 2008: It was interesting to enjoy this great QPR side by side with the above-mentioned Recanati. This one is more elegant and soft with a medium body and plenty of cherries as well as plums. Not as good as the Recanati yet hard to beat for the price. 13.5% Abv.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby lewis.pasco » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Friday night - out at a jazz club, so it wasn't exactly for Kddush - Shiloh's 2008 Mor blend... very soft and nuanced, excellent QPR at 75 NIS out at an event. Went well with the jazz, too.

You could get me going about the relationship, for me, between good jazz and wine. Appreciating both to the fullest requires a similar vision or understanding of the materials in production, and the "notes played" in consumption.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

Friday night: 2009 Bravdo Cabernet Sauvignon
Shabbat lunch: 2010 Gush Etzion Cabernet Sauvignon

Both delicious, with Bravdo the better of the two. But, then it had the advantage of an extra year in the bottle.

Lewis, it never occurred to me to "pair" good jazz and wine. I think more of hard liquor. But then I have plenty of both in the house, so Ill try it one day and "report back."

A good week to all,

Isaac
Isaac Chavel
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:02 am

2001 Domaine Deydier Chateauneuf-de-Papes, a birthday present for a friend who prefers syrahs. Everyone agreed the wine was excellent.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby jgpersky » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:33 am

The Dalton Petite Sirah 2011 is a rich, strong-flavored gem. It spent 12 months in oak, is full-bodied, and is doing a good impression of a more expensive wine. It's aroma and flavor are complex, and it has a long delightful finish. A Best Buy.
The Tzuba Pinot Noir 2009 is subtle, gentle and understated. I think of it as a faded flower. Any idea what's going on there? They were favorites.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
jgpersky
Wine geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:54 pm

jgpersky wrote:The Dalton Petite Sirah 2011 is a rich, strong-flavored gem. It spent 12 months in oak, is full-bodied, and is doing a good impression of a more expensive wine. It's aroma and flavor are complex, and it has a long delightful finish. A Best Buy.
The Tzuba Pinot Noir 2009 is subtle, gentle and understated. I think of it as a faded flower. Any idea what's going on there? They were favorites.

The winery is still there and new wines are coming down the pipeline for both 2012 and 2013 vintages. As of now Paul Dubb wears both hats, GM and winemaker.
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Josh Kramer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:16 pm

Carmel Mediterranean 2008 - After about half hour, opened nicely, full bodied and excellent, a great wine for Friday Night.
Black Onyx Cab Sav - Quite fruity with ripe expressive berries, but not overpowering, very pleasant and balanced, seems like it will develop over next few years.
Josh Kramer
Wine geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Josh Kramer wrote:Black Onyx Cab Sav

? :|
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:42 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:
Josh Kramer wrote:Black Onyx Cab Sav

? :|

I too was curious and Josh said he got in Israel but doesn't recall the details. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi;recanati shiraz '10 drinkable but fading. Also opened recanati shiraz '12. And matturo(the one w/ the copper color label). H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Steven B » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:38 am

Hi Harry,

2010 Bravdo Shiraz. Very nice.
N.V. Porto Quevedo. This ended up being open for around two weeks before drinking but it was still going strong.

Shavua Tov
Steven B
Wine geek

Postby Josh Kramer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:22 am

Sorry - the Black Onyx is produced by Shoham. I have also seen the Onyx (CS and Petit Verdot blend)
Josh Kramer
Wine geek

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi Harry,

This week I stuck my hand into the fridge, reaching for wines from producers I usually find reliable and enjoyable. I was left holding the bag for the most part.

Midbar Viognier 2010 - Choosing it for its floral notes and pleasantly round mouthfeel, I was disappointed not to find them. Previous vintages were much better. C/*/N

Four Gates Pinot Noir 2009 - Initially a whiff of cocoa dominates the nose, providing an interesting side to the wine. When that subsides, I am left with a wine that has little to offer in the way of fruit or secondary flavors. Its high alcohol content, clocking in at 14.8%, imparts some bitterness and increases the imbalance plaguing the wine. C-/*/N

Tzora Judean Hills 2010 - This is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah. Although not exciting, it is an enjoyable wine. With very soft tannins, a medium body, and without much acidity, it has a difficult time supporting the 14.5% AbV. Nonetheless, its perceived flaws make it very smooth and easy to drink except for a dollop of pepper that kicks in at the end, that is either the contribution of the Syrah or the alcohol. The fruit is overly ripe, resulting in notes of dates and prunes, and an overall punch-like profile. B-/**/N

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Jonathan K » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Tulip Syrah Reserve 2010- I did not take notes but this one was very enjoyable. Opened up very quickly

AS a side note, last night I opened the Four Gates 2009 Pinot Noir, while I did not find it out of balance as Pinchas did, I was sorry to find the nose which was so vibrant and spicy before was now muted and the palate revealing a monolithic plummy wine. Had I never tried it before, I would not have thought anything was wrong with it, but it is definitely not what it once was.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby gaston k » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:38 pm

Hagafen CS 2008 30th Anniversary - the label notes say mint and chocolate and the mint was definitely coming through. Very food friendly, but did fade a bit in the glass.
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:52 am

BS"D

Shabbos Night:

2010 Yarden Syrah: Drank very nice and flowed thru till the finish of Saturday night!

Late night with the Boys Learning with: Redemption High Rye Bourbon, Koval Flower / Honey Liqueur & some Black and white cookies..
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Adam M » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:35 am

2009 carmel kayoumi cab. Very solid and only got better the next day
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Z Spigelman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:04 pm

Pair of Bravdo 2010 - Shiraz and Merlot. Preferred the Shiraz but our favorite is the Coupage.
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Sam M » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:46 am

2011 galil mountain ela-The best deal in wine, delicious, great QPR
2012 barkan special reserve Cabernet Sauvignon- Blah
2011- dalton petite sirah - good but nowhere near the 2010
2012- landsman Pinot noir- good wine but I think it misses the mark varietally.
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Sam M » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:21 pm

Sam M wrote:2011 galil mountain ela-The best deal in wine, delicious, great QPR
2012 barkan special reserve Cabernet Sauvignon- Blah
2012- landsman Pinot noir- good wine but I think it misses the mark varietally.

correction:
The dalton petit sirah is 2010. Not as good as the 2009.
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Isaac Chavel » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:00 pm

I go with this one. Maybe with the correction (I cannot remember that well).
Isaac Chavel
Ultra geek

Postby Harry J » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:19 pm

Hi; served at our simcha the tishbi white label cab, merlot, and syrah. The syrah was very good the melot good didn't taste the cab. Also on the ladies side recanati yasmin white'12 and gamla moscato. Had a bottle of calvados hoping to pour some to Pinchas alas he didn't appear. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:06 pm

Harry J wrote:Hi; served at our simcha the tishbi white label cab, merlot, and syrah. The syrah was very good the melot good didn't taste the cab. Also on the ladies side recanati yasmin white'12 and gamla moscato. Had a bottle of calvados hoping to pour some to Pinchas alas he didn't appear. H

Mazal Tov Harry!
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum