The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Horton Norton Tower series?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

Horton Norton Tower series?

by Ed Draves » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:10 am

My friend who brings me Horton Norton every time he visits his children in VA had a very special bottle for me yesterday. He told me for an extra dollar he was able to get me a bottle of the Horton Tower Series Norton 2003. He said the Manager of the store he purchased it at said it was well worth it. Anyone have a comment about the wine? Will it go with my Horton Norton verticle? Thanks
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Horton Norton Tower series?

by Bob Ross » Fri May 05, 2006 2:01 pm

Ed, did you find out anything about the "tower series" from Horton? I've tasted some blueberry wine they released three or four years ago -- not too bad although NJ wineries seem to do better -- the fruit seems to be a little richer here.

I haven't seen anything about a Norton in that series, though.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri May 05, 2006 3:12 pm

Many thanks to Bob for bringing this thread back up.

Ed, I wonder how many Nortons in this year's NiagaraCool picnic will see. I'm not sure if you tried all of them last year but I have to say that it was extremely inspiring to see such a lineup of America's True Red Wine at the picnic. It is a source of great inspiration to me to just think that one day the 3-tier system will be gone and then folks all across the U.S. of A. and Canada too will be able to learn about this most American of wines.

Can't wait to be there in June! It's just a month away!
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Fri May 05, 2006 4:33 pm

I have not found out anything (thanks for bumping this back up btw). If I don't hear that it would be a bad idea to open it soon, I plan on bringing it to NiagaraCool because Paul B, Dan U. And Howie would be into it. So if nothing else possibly a couple of TN's in a month or so.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri May 05, 2006 4:53 pm

I'm puzzled by the "Tower Series" label, Ed. Does that phrase appear on the label?

It was on the fruit wines I tried in 2001 or so, but I haven't heard anything about it appearing as a wine designation.

(My daughter spent some time at UVA and often appeared in summer stock in the ruins near Horton. I've liked some of their wines, and have tried to follow them.)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Fri May 05, 2006 4:58 pm

I'll tripple check when I get home <10pm> but yes, Horton Tower Series Norton. The woman at the wine store told my friend it was worth the extra dollar they were charging for it. I assume it is some kind of higher grade.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Mon May 08, 2006 9:35 am

Neil Glaser, winemaker at Horton, used to read and occasionally post on the old WLDG. I'm not sure if he's joined us here, but these questions could be forwarded to him via and older post or the Horton website.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon May 08, 2006 6:22 pm

Clinton,
It's good to see you here! I always like to see another Marylander on the forum.
It would be nice if Neil could chime in here. He would be the person to give the wisest advice.
I haven't made it down to Horton in a while. I don't recall the Tower series when I was there last. I do have a couple of 2000 Horton Nortons waiting to be opened. I figure if we can convince Paul to get down here I might be persuaded to open them and see how they're doing.
Cheers!
James Roscoe
no avatar
User

Suzie Q

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue May 09, 2006 9:39 pm

Virginia

by Suzie Q » Thu May 11, 2006 1:14 am

The Tower Series is made exclusively for the Total Wine chain.

It is a premium brand and they also make an exceptional viognier, as well as a cab franc, and the fruit wines for which they have quite a reputation. Whilst not being a fan of sweet fruit wines, the Horton Tower Series peach is a wonderful base for a good Bellini.
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Thu May 11, 2006 6:33 am

Thanks Suzie, Horton wines are not available in NY and I look forward to opening this special bottle at NiagaraCool next month. Do you have a lot of the special bottling of Norton in stock?