Eating well in TLV & J'lem on a tight schedule

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Eating well in TLV & J'lem on a tight schedule

Postby Anthony Silverbrow » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:52 am

I've got 1 night in TLV and 3 nights in Jerusalem. I'm keen to go to as many good kosher restaurants as feasible. They have to be good, they don't have to be expensive. I'm after a mix of high end and street food. I reckon dinners are going to be my only option for eating out.

I'd be interested in the forum's thoughts on my selection below. Let me know if you disagree:

Tel Aviv
Goshen or Vino Socco

Jerusalem
Scala
Azura (or Sima)
Angelica or Racha

BTW I was also going to try to get some sausages from Hess, is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.
Anthony Silverbrow
Wine geek

Re: Eating well in TLV & J'lem on a tight schedule

Postby Mark Lieser » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:07 pm

If these are "choices," I'd take Vino Socca any day over Goshen. I don't think they are comparable.

There are other fine options in Tel Aviv. (Although Vino Socca is in Herzlyia, not TA.)

As far as J'lem in concerned, I agree with Scala. Racha, in my opinion is nothing special. I'd go with Angelica if it's a choice between the two.

Been a while since I've been to Hess. Despite Rogov's love for the place, we found it underwhelming.

Mark
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby Anthony Silverbrow » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:59 pm

Thank you

Quick straw poll: La Regence or Scala?
Anthony Silverbrow
Wine geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:30 pm

Love both almost equally (though I've a long-time affair with Scala) but for the utmost and classiest experience: La Regence. (BYOB at LR might be an issue as the mashgiach must be on the premises to check if the bottle is "kosher enough"...).

Goshen in Tel Aviv is nice but go to Vinno Socca, service might a bit "weird" (can't find a better way to describe it) but in a good way, BYOB is allowed.

Best and bon appetit!

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Mark Lieser » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:37 am

I agree with Gabriel - They're both very good, but I think La Regence is just a bit better. If for no other reason than the setting is a tad nicer. A couple of times I've been to Scala and couples with noisy kids have been eating there. Considering how much you're paying, I don't think you need that. I've never seen that at La Regence.

Mark Lieser
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby Anthony Silverbrow » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks for all the tips.

I ate at Scala and Azura in Jerusalem and Gershon in Tel Aviv, I didn't have the time to make it to Vino Socca unfortunately.

Scala completely blew me away. Nothing like I was expecting. It was rather odd because the restaurant was virtually empty. There was a table of 3 at the bar and about an hour into my meal (I sat down at 8.30) a couple turned up.

But service was excellent. Very attentive, good knowledge of food and the wine. Accommodating as well, let me try the wines by the glass before making a choice.

Loved the aioli to start, brilliant kick of garlic. Can't say I remember all that much about the bread. My foie gras lobe starter was one of the best dishes I've eaten, surpassed by the leg lamb for main course. The latter I enjoyed more with every mouthful, think it was due to depth of flavour. I should say that part of my enjoyment was because you can't get either of these ingredients in the UK so it was a novelty.

Azura was also wonderful in a totally different way. I ordered Kima with a side of mujadara (I order it whenever i can). Never had Kima before, so nothing to compare it to, but the lamb with aubergine and potato was spicy, warming (not necessary in Jerusalem's heat) and very comforting.

Gershon was a bit meh, nothing great. The starter of beef tartar was a complete let down, nothing like the theatre you get in the UK (but it isn't kosher so can't eat it). The steak was fine.

I was really bowled over by Jerusalem.
Anthony Silverbrow
Wine geek

Postby Bill Coleman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:12 pm

We are going to be in Jerusalem for three nights. I am thinking of Angelica, Scala, and the Mamilla Rooftop. Any suggestions?
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:36 pm

La Regence at the King David and Hachatzer.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi Bill,

I'm 100% with Yossie here. Unfortunately Scala isn't as good as it used to be. Angelica I haven't been in a while but didn't hear great things lately. Mamilla Rooftop is great for the views and the food can be good as well sometimes but it's inconsistent and so is the service.

So I'd go with La Régence (no BYOB, King David Hotel), Hachatzer (BYOB allowed and only 35nis-$10/btl, Baka) and Toro (in Yemin Moshe, they do BYOB).

Safe travels, enjoy your stay and please let us know where you end up dinning at.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Mark Lieser » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:47 pm

I think Gabriel and I tend to have similar food and dining tastes, so I have to second his post.

My only addition is that we tried Touro in Yemin Moshe a few weeks ago and it was excellent. I think it has entered the list of my top tier J'lem eating establishments.
It is not at the level of La Regence, but it's good.

Mark
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby Bill Coleman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:06 pm

Thanks, guys. I'll report back in a couple of weeks.
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Postby Bill Coleman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:57 pm

Here's what we did in Jerusalem:

Tuesday 24 December = Angelica's
Wednesday 25 December = Hachatzer
Thursday 26 December = Black

Monday 30 December = Arnold's in Netiv Hashayara

Then Tel Aviv:

Tuesday 31 December = Regina's
Wednesday 1 January = Liliyot

We were thrilled with each and every one of them.
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner