Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What is your favorite hot chocolate?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

What is your favorite hot chocolate?

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Do you have a method of making it yourself with real chocolate, do you buy a particular brand? Do you put marshmellows in it...homemade or commercial?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: What is your favorite hot chocolate?

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:30 pm

I rarely drink it ... great comfort experience, but who needs the calories and sugar? :shock:

Nevertheless, it crossed my mind the other day that it might be really good to make a hot choc with quality chocolate and coconut milk. Mounds Bar in a cup!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:09 pm

In Nyc I like the richness and intensity of the hot chocolate at Grom, which is also my favorite ice cream place in Nyc.

Don't make it much at home these days, we view it more of a public treat. But when I used to go through hot chocolate phases it was usually mainly darkish (70%) chocolate, and a bit of milk, always pretty heavy on the chocolate.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:43 pm

We use Penzeys' Dutch Cocoa with a drop of honey and a shot of Raspberry Cordial.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Not a hot chocolate drinker either. But we did receive a gift of Starbucks cocoa mix a few years back that Bob loves. It favors a dark chocolate profile and is lower on sugar, so you make an intensely flavored hot chocolate without it being overly sweet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:16 pm

I use Droste or Rademaker cocoa (dutch process) and mix it with butter, sugar, salt, and hot water (or milk). I control the sweetness and the richness.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:15 pm

On a whim, my wife brought home some Dagoba Hot Choco mix.

(Background: Dagoba, at founding, was a tiny company intensely focused on organic choco, and came out with some (then ahead of its time) choco-fruit blends that were pretty damned good.

They were subsequently consumed by the Hershey's empire (as were Ghirardelli and some others about that time), and now...they're really just another average choco producer.

So we tried the Dagoba. Warmed the milk without boiling it, mixed it slowly, taking care.

Meh. Eventually I suppose we'll get through the can (maybe when the grandkids come over), but neither one of us is motivated for another cup.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:46 pm

I grew up in a hot chocolate loving house. Mom had a cup every morning with her toast. That is all I remember her having for breakfast. Our kids loved it and I would make it for them in the winter, with marshmallows. They liked to watch the mellows twist and turn in the microwave. Gene loved it too. For some reason our favorite brands were no longer available. He drinks coffee now and I drink a tomato/vegetable based juice concoction with a lemon ice cube, hot sauce and lime wedge. Our weather has been in the 20's every morning and I am craving a good hot chocolate with home made marshmallow.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:47 am

Robin Garr wrote:I rarely drink it ... great comfort experience, but who needs the calories and sugar? :shock:

That's my general take on hot chocolate. But I've been known to indulge while manning a telescope at one of our Astronomy club's public observing sessions, in below-freezing weather.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:21 am

Paul Winalski wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:I rarely drink it ... great comfort experience, but who needs the calories and sugar? :shock:

That's my general take on hot chocolate.

You could say that for anything, and then you'd never eat!

But I agree about the sentiment as it applies to bad versions of hot chocolate, or anything else for that matter. Although excellent versions are worth it!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:47 pm

Rahsaan wrote:excellent versions are worth it!

Concur. I'm still going to try it with coconut milk, for instance.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:01 pm

The last truly great hot chocolate I had was some years ago in Paris. Rue de Seine; chilly, blustery day; fatigued, as I always am, by the walking that seems so natural and wonderful in Paris; stopping at random for a glittery shop for a 'pot du chocolat'.

Sinfully rich and velvety. And a very small cup is all it takes.