Turkey Day (and the aftermath)

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Turkey Day (and the aftermath)

Postby Bill Spohn » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Hope all you Americans had a good Thanksgiving. What's your bestest ever recipe for left over turkely?

Bill Spohn
He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Re: Turkey Day (and the aftermath)

Postby Jenise » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:51 pm

No help for you from my kitchen. I do not like the taste of recooked meat (when the original meat was grilled or roasted--braised or stewed is just fine), so what doesn't get eaten cold is virtually unusable to me.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby James Dietz » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Our 12-year old niece is making Chinese steamed pork buns but with turkey substituted. We'll see, as I am with Jenise on reusing turkey.
Cheers, Jim
James Dietz
Wine guru

Postby Bill Spohn » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:54 pm

I have no problem with things like turkey a la king or just turkey sandwiches. 'Bird bao' might be challenging with dry meat though.....
Bill Spohn
He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Postby Howie Hart » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Many years ago I declared the Sunday after Thanksgiving as "National Turkey Soup Day". I still celebrate it, even though it never seemed to catch on. Mine, this year will be made with home made noodles.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

Postby James Dietz » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:05 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I have no problem with things like turkey a la king or just turkey sandwiches. 'Bird bao' might be challenging with dry meat though.....

I'm hoping she uses thigh meat! Bird bao! :lol:
Cheers, Jim
James Dietz
Wine guru

Postby Karen/NoCA » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:51 pm

Sliced turkey breast with the crispy skin, on Green Onion, Garlic Bread, toasted, with our home made cranberry sauce. Breast is all sliced for sandwiches. Dark meat goes into enchiladas or soup. Bits and pieces go into containers for adding to dog kibble.
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer

Postby Jenise » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:32 pm

Speaking of turkey day leftovers, just saw on a friend's Facebook page some pix of their leftover stuffing--pressed into a waffle iron and cooked until crisp. Now THERE's my idea of a leftover!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Karen/NoCA » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:23 pm

Jenise wrote:Speaking of turkey day leftovers, just saw on a friend's Facebook page some pix of their leftover stuffing--pressed into a waffle iron and cooked until crisp. Now THERE's my idea of a leftover!

Mashed poatatoes are good that way too...I usually add green onion or chives. I don't press into a waffle iron, just form patties and crisp up.
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:31 pm

That's a great idea for stuffing and a great use for a George Foreman grill or other panini-making type of utensil.

I personally like turkey sandwiches with cranberry sauce. We traveled out of state for T-Day this year, so I'm going to have to cook a turkey myself if I want the leftovers. I expect to do so next weekend.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby Paul Winalski » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:50 pm

Turkey bao just might work. The traditional cha siu bao is made with Cantonese roast pork, which is a rather dry cooked meat. It's why the steamed bun stuffing always involves a thick sauce. The same technique should work with leftover turkey.

-Paul W.
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder

Postby John F » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Mind if I put a fried egg on that?

Jenise wrote:Speaking of turkey day leftovers, just saw on a friend's Facebook page some pix of their leftover stuffing--pressed into a waffle iron and cooked until crisp. Now THERE's my idea of a leftover!
John F
Ultra geek

Postby GeoCWeyer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:43 pm

left over stuffing isn't a problem. I love the stuff! I did an 11 lb bird for 12 adults + 2 toddlers. I could have done a 12-13 pounder. It was really too close. Our guests are all Pat's family. They like old fashioned "simple" food. To make things easier I purchase TJ's gravy and add frozen stock from last year and a bit of thickener. It works out well. The mashed potatoes I used the recipe using cream cheese that can be done a day or two earlier. It also went over well. For the green bean casserole I used TJs portobello mushroom soup. Never again! I will go back to the Campbell recipe but still use frozen beans rather than canned. Glad it is over!
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
GeoCWeyer
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:19 pm

John F wrote:Mind if I put a fried egg on that?

Exactly what my friends did!
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Return to The Forum Kitchen