Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

So, what are you cooking for the holidays?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

So, what are you cooking for the holidays?

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:33 am

It's been kind of quiet around here for the past few days - everybody out shopping until you drop?

Let's preheat the oven and warm things up a little here by asking what you're doing for the holidays, particularly Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinners. Making anything special, or sticking to old family traditions?

We'll probably go out to dinner one day with friends and take potluck, and I generally make something interesting but not necessarily Yulish at home to have with a particularly nice bottle of wine on Christmas Eve ... possibly Marcella Hazan's hair-dryer duck.

How about you? If you're doing anything unusual, extra credit if you post a recipe! :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Re: So, what are you cooking for the holidays?

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:35 am

By the way, I don't mean this to take away from Karen's running thread on our choices for Christmas dinner. I just thought of this topic as more recipe-oriented as opposed to a discussion of turkey, beef, goose or ham.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:28 am

Very traditional this year....(I voted for grilled ribeyes since the weather is so nice...but the boss put her foot down and opted for tradition since we ate at friends for Thxgiving.)

Brined & Roasted Turkey w/ gravy. Asiago cheese bread dressing. Green beans, garlic mashed potatoes...assorted desserts.

Wine - Beaujolais, Pinot Noir & whatever else shows up
Champagne - got to have something to sip while cooking

Richard
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:By the way, I don't mean this to take away from Karen's running thread on our choices for Christmas dinner. I just thought of this topic as more recipe-oriented as opposed to a discussion of turkey, beef, goose or ham.

I'm going to make this for dessert, from Rachael Ray's Holiday Entertaining in 60
Eggnog-Panettone Bread Pudding
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Show: Food Network Specials
Episode: Rachael Ray's Holiday Entertaining in 60

1 loaf panettone, available in Italian specialty stores, cut in half (enough for about 5 cups, diced)
3 whole eggs
3 egg yolks
3/4 cups sugar
2 cups half-and-half
1/4 cup rum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Vegetable cooking spray
Optional accompaniments: Vanilla ice cream, Whipped cream

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
Place a tea-kettle of water on to boil for a water bath. With a serrated knife, remove the side crusts from the half piece of the panettone. Cut into 3/4 to 1-inch dice. You should have 5 cups. Reserve the cubed panettone in a large mixing bowl.

For the eggnog custard, in another bowl thoroughly whisk together the eggs, yolks, sugar, half and half, rum, vanilla extract, and a healthy grating of fresh nutmeg. Pour this over the bread cubes.

Spray a 12 hole muffin tin with vegetable cooking spray. Ladle the bread/eggnog mixture gently and evenly into the muffin tins. The big cubes sticking up look nice. Place the filled muffin tin in a tall sided cookie sheet or roasting pan. Transfer to the preheated oven and carefully pour the hot water from kettle onto sheet pan, creating a water bath for the muffin tin to sit in.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes until the tops are nicely browned, and a toothpick comes clean from the center.

Bread pudding may be served warm or cold. Vanilla Ice cream or whipped cream would be great accompaniments.

Alternately place the muffin tin in a roasting pan on the stove. Pour in up to 1-inch of boiling water. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes. The puddings will puff and a toothpick will come out clean from the center. The tops won't brown with this method. Perhaps a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar at serving time would be nice.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Food for the holidays

by Bill Spencer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:what you're doing for the holidays, particularly Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinners.

For Christmas Eve, it's over to my nearly 83 year old Mom's house for our annual traditional meal of albondiga soup, pozole soup, tamales, pinto beans, and flour tortillas ...

For Christmas dinner, the family is coming to our house ... freshly picked Yuma grown heart of romaine salad, grilled lamb loin chops, wild rice, freshly picked Yuma grown broccoli, Mom's homemade bread, and everybody is bringing a homemade pie of their choice ... will be "swilling" lots of Tobin James cabernet franc although I may open a Castoro petite verdot that I've been drooling over ...
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:37 pm

We will be eating at our youngest son's in-laws home on Christmas Eve. They are Italian and celebrate The Feast of the Seven Fishes. I know she is making Linguine and Clams, plus a cod dish. I am making a very old recipe from my family for a salad made with shrimp, crab, bread, hard boiled eggs, onion, celery, and mayo.

Christmas Eve, the same in-laws will be at our son’s home. The Mr. is doing a prime rib, I am doing the stuffed baked spuds, our daughter-in-law is doing a family green bean recipe (no, not “that” recipe) and I don’t know what else.
Christmas day, we will all have brunch together, lots of fresh fruit, home made breads, and some sort of an overnight egg dish thing.
Merry Christmas/Happy Holiday to all!
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:03 am

Another seven fisher here for Christmas Eve.
Clams on the half shell, as well as baked clams.
Spaghetti with garlic, oil, and anchovy.
Stuffed calamari braised in tomato sauce.
Shrimp parmigiana.
Bacalao salad.
Fried filet of sole.
Fried eel.
Room temp broccoli with garlic, oil and lemon.

Christmas Day we do lasagna, followed by meatballs, sausage and braciole.
We follow up with a roast pork in case anyone is still hungry.
Sides of sauteed mushrooms with vinegar peppers, stuffed artichokes and roasted potatoes.

Fruit, nuts and finocchio.
Pastry and espresso.

Merry Christmas everyone.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:18 am

Well let's see, I picked up a two-rib prime rib roast, a five-rib prime rib roast and eight pork shanks today, got a ham and a beef tenderloin from Lobel's, and a crown rib roast from Nieman Ranch -- I don't think we're going to go hungry. Now to start thinking about wines....
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:47 am

Randy Buckner wrote:I don't think we're going to go hungry.

So, just out of curiosity, is this just a quiet Christmas at home for you and Carole, or are you going to have another couple over? :twisted:
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:15 am

So, just out of curiosity, is this just a quiet Christmas at home for you and Carole, or are you going to have another couple over?

That is just for the overly-spoiled dawg.... (and Yaniger if he drops by unexpectedly -- he loves pork you know)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:36 am

I'll be cooking Indian. Rogan Josh for the main dish, accompanied by a saffron rice pullao, masoor dal and cucumber raita, with a dab of lime pickle and a green salad.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:46 pm

We'll be BBQ'ing the turkey.