The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: lots of assorted wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: lots of assorted wine

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:53 pm

A tough week and a half for me- a cold, on antibiotics because of infected sutures, shorthanded at work, and 11 days without gas (no heat, hot water, or stove) at work. Despite that,managed to eat and drink ok.

With chicken gumbo, the 2010 Roche de Bellene Bourgogne vieilles Vignes. Red fruited, sappy, good acids, bright. B/B+

With takeout sushi, the 2011 Tripoz Cremant de Bourgogne Nature. Not sure where this came from, but glad it made it to cellar. Very crisp, dry, with long minerally finish. B+

couple days break for head cold, came back to wine with the 2008 von Hovel Kabinett
and assorted leftovers. Less expressive than I remembered though still enjoyable, I chalk this one up to lingering stuffiness. NR

With lemon sole, the 2010 Brezo Godello. Round texture but with good acids, apple and peach fruit, a saline edge. B+/B

Halloween was a hoot- my little village shuts down the business district, I gave out about $200 worth of candy to (mostly) adorable trickor treaters. Betsy and Lucy joined me (and Lucy made the local online news site, picture #4

http://rivertowns.dailyvoice.com/galler ... obbs-ferry

Afterwards we went home where we got more T&Ters and enjoyed roast chicken and root vegetables with the 2010 Pascal Marchand Bourgogne rouge. Nice, midbodied, a bit riper in feel than the Potel/Roche de Bellene, decent balance. B

Friday we had oysters to start (note to self- never shuck with finger in splint), and then baked red snapper with potatoes, miso glazed kumbocha (sp?), & baby bok choy. Cooking wine was the 2012 Pepiere Muscadet, year in year out my QPR favorite wine. Saline, seashell, lemon, lovely. B++

We also had the 2008 Pinson “Les Clos” Chablis Grand Cru. This is all about potential, but what about premox? Coiled, tight, there's chalk and citrus underneath, but for current drinking B-. I'll hold on for a few years, see if I get a beautiful GC or a premoxed mess.

Saturday we made bibimbop (went with bop as our guests are jazz players) for the first time - crispy rice, bulgogi, easy recipes for mixins like mushrooms, squash, wakame, scallions, spinach, etc. Nancy showed up with some stuffed mushrooms as appetizers, which we had with the 2002 Foreau Vouvray Brut Reserve. Beautiful showing -lively, fine mousse, citrus fruit with bready notes, long finish. A-

Bibimbop isn’t easiest, but with it (and assorted banchan) we tried
2011 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Kabinett (I didn’t note AP #, but think it’s 16, as other is a full case). Not bad as a match. Very lively, lots of lime and citrus flower, good acids. B+/A-

2011 Rota "27" Lambrusco di Castellazzo
Best match. Fun, grapey, mild fizz, some tannin, good length. B/B+

1996 Jadot Ch.St Jacques Moulin a Vent
It’s dead , Jim! Bring out your dead! It’s pining for the fjords! D

2011 Texier Cotes du Rhone
Good acids (especially for a I think mostly Grenache wine), raspberries, a pleasant pine needle note. Good value. B

Sunday Betsy was playing the Brahms Clarinet Quintet in PA, so I was alone. I I combined some of the leftover vegetarian bibimbap mixins (scallion slaw, sprouts, etc) with some basil, fish sauce, and rice noodles in an hommage to a Thai stirfry. Wine was the 2011 Dr. Frank Gruner Veltliner. Dr. Frank is generally one of my favorite FL wineries, but I couldn’t warm to this. It seemed diluted, with any GV pepper or peas. Could have been any innocuous BTG white in an Applebees. C+/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

Re: WTN: lots of assorted wine

by Patrick Martin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Dale Williams wrote:2011 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Kabinett (I didn’t note AP #, but think it’s 16, as other is a full case). Not bad as a match. Very lively, lots of lime and citrus flower, good acids. B+/A-

This caught my eye. Is 2011 a racy, high acid year in Germany? I'd like that.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:51 pm

2011 is decidedly NOT a racy, high acid year in Germany. It's just that Willi and Christoph Schaefer have a way with their wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

by Patrick Martin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:39 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2011 is decidedly NOT a racy, high acid year in Germany. It's just that Willi and Christoph Schaefer have a way with their wines.

Too bad, I guess there's always 2010.

I did buy a few Merkelbach 2011 prearrivals based on Terry's catalog.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:32 pm

2012 is looking promising. More detailed tastings forthcoming in the next several weeks.
Decisions are made by those who show up