Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Steamed pudding time

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Steamed pudding time

by GeoCWeyer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:44 pm

The electric stove I grew up with had a burner that could be dropped down and serve as the heating source for a double boiler or steamer. Years ago when I purchased my first crock pot there was an offer in the box to mail in and purchase both a grill rack for the inside and a covered insert to use as a double boiler or steamer. I don't think these inserts are still being offered. I have used mine for years and really cherish it.

This time of year...the first snow is scheduled to arrive this afternoon..is when I break it out. My favorite recipe is a cranberry steamed pudding that my mother used to make. It takes 5 1/2 hours in the crock pot. It is served either with a "soft" or a "hard" sauce. In the past I have also made a great carrot cake in the steamer. I think I shall do some more playing since we have extra mouths to feed who both have a sweet tooth.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Re: Steamed pudding time

by GeoCWeyer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:23 pm

I was told by SunBeam now the owner of the rival name that the inside the pot grill and steamer inserts are "obsolete products". Too bad, It makes the "cooking" of steamed puddings a no-brainer.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain