Blessings /WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Blessings /WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:00 am

bsd
People sometimes extend wishes to each other; have a good day, a happy birthday, feel better, etc. etc.
Does it serve a purpose? Does it activate anything ?
Perhaps the degree of the effect is proportional to the depth of the intent.
Have a good one; H
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Blessings /WeeksEnd wine

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:12 pm

Harry, shavua tov v'chodesh tov!

Friday night:

GMW, Meron 2009: This Syrah-based blend was as enjoyable as always. The tannins have now started to settle down and slowly integrate. The fruit and acidity are still quite bright, sweet yes, but not overripe sweet, meaning without dates nor raisins flavors whatsoever, at least in my experience. As well, despite the skyrocketing 15,5% Abv, the wine is well-balanced and doesn't show any signs of heat. A very nice wine!

Shabbat lunch:

Jerusalem Wineries, Ugav, Merlot 2011: Very decent quaffer, focusing on red fruit with high acidity and low alcohol by Israeli standards. 13% Abv.

Binyamina, Reserve, Cabernet Sauvignon 2008: Still the same fantastic QPR, providing an excellent wine with substantial complexity and a respectable cellaring ability. The tannins have integrated further with the fruit showing less upfront as it used to and developing secondary aromas highlighting more roasted herbs and licorice. 13,5% Abv.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi Harry, nice one & shavu'a tov,

2010 Weinstock Select Cabernet Franc, very very nice, excellent QPR.

2012 Dalton Viognier Reserve, highly appreciated at the table. My take is closer to David's --- needs more time.

2010 Tzuba Pinot Noir, very enjoyable. Took awhile to settle down and then drank very smoothly. But, although I have enjoyed the 2009 immensely, this did not measure up. I am not certain if it requires more time, more time will not help it, or if it is past peak.

A good week to all,

Isaac
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:31 am

2007 Domaine Bunan Cotes-de-Provence; the roughness when this wine was younger has now been smoothened out; much more palatable and enjoyable. Yes, this was the kosher version
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Shlomo R » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:33 am

Decided to go with Yarden Gewurtztraminer as a counterpoint to the orange chicken that my wife made for dinner. Something about the flavors of Gewurtz just makes this varietal something I keep coming back to.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby lewis.pasco » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:30 am

Drank my own 2012 "Pasco Project" Bordeaux blend both Fri night and Saturday, with my wife Fri night and some in laws Saturday lunch. 1st time I've opened one since bottling it about 1 month ago.

Interesting to see how the wine paired with broiled salmon (with garlic, tarragon, and EVOO), potato puree, and broccoli Friday night (preceded by a gentle baby lettuces salad dressed simply with EVOO and lemon juice) and then braised brisket, couscous with vegetables in chicken broth and a slew of Moroccan salads (roasted sweet peppers, eggplant w mayonnaise, sliced fennel/EVOO, roasted beets) on Saturday.

Despite being a big full-bodied red it didn't overwhelm the salmon - perhaps the treatment of the salmon, crusted with minced garlic and shallots, helped out, but I think mostly it's that the wine is just soft and not tannic for such a young red.

Of course it really shined with the brisket which had been simmered in tumeric and allspice that made a lovely pungent broth/gravy, and the ever fragrant cous cous and veggies with their saffron note.

Coming soon to a store near you, I hope to hear feedback from you gents once it's out.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby Josh Kramer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:33 pm

Friday Night:

Carmel Mediterranean 2009 - love this wine in general. I think '07 and '08 are better though.
Yatir Cab (not sure what year) - excellent wine, great aromas
Carmel Kayoumi Riesling - one of my favorite whites

Day:
Covenant Red C 2007 - was curious about this one - at first I wasn't sure but opened up well after half hour or so and really enjoyed. Seems to be close to peak.
Tulip Mostly Cab Franc
Capcanes Peraj Ha'abib 2011 - needs time to age but still a great wine now
Josh Kramer
Wine geek

Postby Sam M » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:05 am

2011 landsman syrah, pretty strong acidity. Full bodied , complex .
2010 flam caberet reserve- awesome.
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Shawn Johnson » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:34 am

Teperberg Terra Malbec 2011

Dalton D Shiraz 2010

Good week to all
Shawn Johnson
Ultra geek

Postby Craig Winchell » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:11 am

My first real delve into a Pro-Am wine, Just a Narrow Bridge 2011 Sonoma County Cab, produced and bottled at Brooklyn Winery. I should also say this was a gift from Levi Chitrik Purec, under his own hashgacha, a customer of mine who makes his own wine in fairly commercial quantities (except as a cooperative with enough partners to make the per-person quantities small). Fairly well balanced with plenty of flavor, it was nevertheless dull and off in its character, giving rise to a feeling of slight spoilage yeast activity, though without any of the overt characteristics of Brettanomyces. Could be a bit of mold from the wood. It reminded me of some of the lesser appellation reds from Bordeaux, those which I wouldn't drink because of lack of concentration together with off flavors, whereas this has enough concentration, but still off flavors. Of course, that wasn't enough, so I opened a bottle of AD Syrah that I had hand bottled for one of the chagim, without SO2. A bit of aldehyde production in bottle, certainly not clean and tight. It just didn't stand up to the hand corking, which pushes air into the wine.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Susan Lilly » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:24 pm

Friday night we drank Yarden Gewurztraminer 2011 with spicy vegetarian Indian food. It was a good pairing - the wine stood up to the spicy food and balanced out the chiles. We eat a lot of south Indian food, and I'm always on the lookout for wines that are a good match, preferring wine to beer (especially for Shabbat dinner). Used to buy the Clos du Nouys Vouvray by the case - it was perfect with spicy food, with its sweetness a good foil for hot chiles. Alas it's no longer available kosher.
Susan Lilly
Cellar rat

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Hi Harry,

I utilized this weekend to drink the wines I served at my daughter's wedding, in the comfort of my home, and at the leisurely pace of the lazy weekend.

Hagafen Roussanne 2011 - This Rhone varietal offers more fruity notes than a typical Chardonnay, complementing the fruit with a floral bouquet, yet retaining a somber composure with the aid of tea-leaf tannins and the grown-up bitter streak that runs through it. To me, it is closer in character to a Chardonnay than to its Rhone cousin, Viognier, or to a Riesling. What differentiates it most from the fragrant Viognier, Riesling and Gewurztraminer, is that its fruit and floral tones give no illusions of sweetness nor honeyed texture. It turned out to be a good choice as the white wine at the wedding, offering my guest something novel without an accompanying shock. 13.5% AbV and $18 directly from the winery. B/***/Y

Hagafen Prix Cabernet Franc 2008 - For those to whom Cabernet Franc is synonymous with bell pepper, this wine is anathema, lacking any trace of green notes. However, those like me, who appreciate a Cabernet Franc offering its traditional elegance, refined--but present--tannins, and floral character, will adore this wine. It is perhaps on the young side, and should develop added complexity over time, but because of its elegance and restrained tannins it is approachable and enjoyable now. 13.5% AbV and a $55 list price. B+/**/Y

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
Last edited by Pinchas L on Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Mark Lieser » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:50 am

Harry, your "harassment" worked:

Yaffo - Carignan 2009. After the fuss over this wine last year on the forum, I've been trying forever to find a bottle. Finally got to taste.

Bravdo - Rose 2012
Yatir - Viognier 2011 (We discovered this goes well with pizza.)
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby Moshe F » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:23 pm

This past weekend we enjoyed

2011 Recanati Cabernet Sauvignon. A great food friendly cab and a crowd pleaser.
2009 Gilgal Cabernet Sauvignon. A consistent bottle which I can rely upon for crowds. Though I am slowly thinking I have been drinking too much of it recently...
2012 Dalton Wild Yeast Fermentation Reserve Viognier. This disappointed me. It had some pungent tart fruit taste and for some reason tasted very alchol-ee. was not a huge fan...
NV Adar Brut Cava. A great morning drink with gefilte fish and dips.

A good week to all.
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby Jonathan K » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Pinchas L wrote:Hi Harry,

I utilized this weekend to drink the wines I served at my daughter's wedding, in the comfort of my home, and at the leisurely pace of the lazy weekend.

Hagafen Roussanne 2011 - This Rhone varietal offers more fruity notes than a typical Chardonnay, complementing the fruit with a floral bouquet, yet retaining a somber composure with the aid of tea-leaf tannins and the grown-up bitter streak that runs through it. To me, it is closer in character to a Chardonnay than to its Rhone cousin, Viognier, or to a Riesling, What differentiates it most from the fragrant Viognier, Riesling and Gewurztraminer, is that its fruit and floral tones give no illusions of sweetness nor honeyed texture. It turned out to be a good choice as the white wine at the wedding, offering my guest something novel without an accompanying shock. 13.5% AbV and $18 directly from the winery. B/***/Y

Hagafen Prix Cabernet Franc 2008 - For those to whom Cabernet Franc is synonymous with bell pepper, this wine is anathema, lacking any trace of green notes. However, those like me, who appreciate a Cabernet Franc offering its traditional elegance, refined--but present--tannins, and floral character, will adore this wine. It is perhaps on the young side, and should develop added complexity over time, but because of its elegance and restrained tannins it is approachable and enjoyable now. 13.5% AbV and a $55 list price. B+/**/Y

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more

Mazel Tov on your daughter's wedding!!
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:39 am

Craig Winchell wrote:My first real delve into a Pro-Am wine, Just a Narrow Bridge 2011 Sonoma County Cab, produced and bottled at Brooklyn Winery. I should also say this was a gift from Levi Chitrik Purec, under his own hashgacha, a customer of mine who makes his own wine in fairly commercial quantities (except as a cooperative with enough partners to make the per-person quantities small). Fairly well balanced with plenty of flavor, it was nevertheless dull and off in its character, giving rise to a feeling of slight spoilage yeast activity, though without any of the overt characteristics of Brettanomyces. Could be a bit of mold from the wood. It reminded me of some of the lesser appellation reds from Bordeaux, those which I wouldn't drink because of lack of concentration together with off flavors, whereas this has enough concentration, but still off flavors. Of course, that wasn't enough, so I opened a bottle of AD Syrah that I had hand bottled for one of the chagim, without SO2. A bit of aldehyde production in bottle, certainly not clean and tight. It just didn't stand up to the hand corking, which pushes air into the wine.

Craig,
This is the wine I was referring to when we had our discussion of "splintery" mouth-feel and slightly off notes of musty wood, which I thought came from overuse of (perhaps poor-quality) staves, but you said most likely came from improper cleaning of the barrels. Now that you've tasted the wine instead of going by my description, do you think the problem was in fact improper cleaning?
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Elie Poltorak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:52 am

'10 Flam Classico/B to B+/* Very well-made simple table wine with no flaws, but nothing to get excited about either and wildly overpriced.
'12 Flam Blanc: A-/**
'11 Elvi In Vita: B++/***
'07 Yarden BdB: A/***
'10 Capcanes Peraj Ha'abib: B+/* Unfortunately, a very poor vintage for Capcanes. I think their worst kosher vintage yet.
'09 Shiloh Secret Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon: A- and a bit more/**. Big surprise of the Shabos. Haven't had in a while. Was a bit hot on release but now it has settled down, is perfectly balanced, and drinking wonderfully! I wish I had stocked up!
'09 Ella Valley Cabernet Franc: A-/***
Netofa Port (I think '10 but not sure): A-/**
'07 GHW Yonatan Syrah: B+ to A-/** Much better than the awful bottle I had 2 weeks ago. Lots of depth and the deep smokiness I crave in a warm-climate syrah, but very, very sweet.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:01 am

Elie Poltorak wrote:'Netofa Port (I think '10 but not sure): A-/**
That's correct, it's 2010.
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum