The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: SA Chenin, Beaujolais

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: SA Chenin, Beaujolais

by Dale Williams » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:40 pm

With flounder poached in a white/caper sauce, the 2012 Badenhorst "Secateurs" Chenin Blanc. I don’t drink much South African CB, but enjoyed this. On the simple side, but nice lemony citrus fruit with a wooly Chenin note. Worth it's $12 tag, B/B-

Spring seems to be here, with the added bonus of DST abd I grilled some peppers and some herb rubbed pork chops while Betsy prepared potatoes, broccoli, and salad. Wine was the 2011 Vissoux “Cuvee Traditionelle” Beaujolais. Fairly big and tannic for a straight Beaujolais, but while tight to start it opens up into a lovely glass of Gamay. Cherries and raspberries, spice, a little smokey edge. Full, zesty acids, good length. I think I need more of this! B++

edited to add winery names to the chenin

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a
party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of
objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Last edited by Dale Williams on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: SA Chenin, Beaujolais

by Mark S » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:16 pm

Dale Williams wrote:With flounder poached in a white/caper sauce, the 2012 Secateurs Chenin Blanc. I don’t drink much South African CB, but enjoyed this. On the simple side, but nice lemony citrus fruit with a wooly Chenin note. Worth it's $12 tag, B/B-

Funny, I just bought and drank a bottle of this Easter weekend as well. Being in a hotel, I appreciated the screw cap. I'd agree it was simple, maybe up it to a solid B, but good for the price.

Have you tried the red Secateurs? Their upper-end red (around $40) is very good and worth trying if you like French Southern Rhones.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:58 pm

No, I've not seen the reds, for the most part South Africa is not on my radar. I just bought this because I needed some inexpensive whites and Posner was touting for $12.
The only SA wines I've really looked for are the Mulderbosch Faithful Hound (a Bdx blend that I serve for the Basset's annual birthday tea- for the people not the dogs- less expensive than ESJ Bassetti) and another Bdx blend called Toren Fusion V (though when that went over $35 I lost interest)
I'll keep an eye open for the Badenhorst Secateurs red.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:00 pm

Just opened the `11 Badenhorst Red Secateurs so stay tuned. Roast sirloin tip in the oven :D .