Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

June Plums

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

June Plums

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Anyone familiar with this Caribbean fruit? Our neighbor has a tree loaded with them...has not clue what the tree is or what to do with the fruit. They brought some to us today, so I went on the Internet and identified it. I only make strawberry freezer jam for Gene (cause his mother made it and he loves it) but I wonder if there is another application that someone has tried.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: June Plums

by Jenise » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:25 am

Never heard of them! Is it anything like a plum as we otherwise know that fruit?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Jenise wrote:Never heard of them! Is it anything like a plum as we otherwise know that fruit?

Not like a plum at all.
http://www.plantogram.com/product/june_plum/
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:43 am

Karen, thanks for the link. Know what it reminds me of? A mango. The growing habit on the tree looks about identical (thanks for the pic), and the single seed would of course be the same. Any chance it's in that family?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:48 pm

Jenise wrote:Karen, thanks for the link. Know what it reminds me of? A mango. The growing habit on the tree looks about identical (thanks for the pic), and the single seed would of course be the same. Any chance it's in that family?

Only after I cut this open it has tiny flat seeds that are white, and has a kind of dried flowery thing on top sort of like the one Peter posted. It is still green with muted white flecking. Inside it is sort of apricot colored and smells so good. It tastes rather sweet...I don't think it is ripe yet.