Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Another word that's lost its meaning

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Another word that's lost its meaning

by Jenise » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:58 pm

"Handcrafted".

Spied in the fresh fish counter at the grocery store this weekend: "Handcrafted Fresh King Salmon Fillets".

IOW: it's farm-raised.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

by Howie Hart » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:43 pm

And "Home made". You mean those frozen meatballs were made in somebody's home?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:46 pm

Yikes, handcrafted fish? That is just bizarre!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:46 pm

I just don't see "handcrafted" as an appropriate adjective for most food. When I think of something that's handcrafted, I think of furniture or decorative items or birdhouses. Although I can see where people are coming from with this term, I don't see food as being "crafted".
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:22 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I just don't see "handcrafted" as an appropriate adjective for most food. When I think of something that's handcrafted, I think of furniture or decorative items or birdhouses. Although I can see where people are coming from with this term, I don't see food as being "crafted".

Precisely! There's a lot of cross-pollination going on in the descriptor world. A few weeks ago at a Canadian Costco, I saw an "artisanal" toilet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:20 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I just don't see "handcrafted" as an appropriate adjective for most food.

Similarly, I don't see the term 'handsell' as appropriate for an engaging exchange between wine retailer and customer.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:32 am

Rahsaan wrote:Similarly, I don't see the term 'handsell' as appropriate for an engaging exchange between wine retailer and customer.

I can see that one: the bottle was sold by hand, not via the shelf-talker (or via recommendation or other media).
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:41 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:Similarly, I don't see the term 'handsell' as appropriate for an engaging exchange between wine retailer and customer.

I can see that one: the bottle was sold by hand, not via the shelf-talker (or via recommendation or other media).

Yes, the idea behind "handsell" is that the retailer holds the bottle, maybe even hands it to the customer. I think it fits. Of course, Rahsaan you aren't thinking of that kind of transaction, which probably wouldn't take place between retailer and avid wine consumer--more likely between retailer and the people who shop for wine at holiday time or for someone's birthday.

Jenise, I love artisanal toilet. I'm going to find a way to get that into conversations. :lol:

One of my favorites is 'large" as in a real estate sign I saw a couple of weeks ago: "large one-acre plots."
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:22 am

Thomas wrote:Yes, the idea behind "handsell" is that the retailer holds the bottle, maybe even hands it to the customer. I think it fits.

I once had a retailer kiss a bottle before he sold it to me. (This was in Italy, of course.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:34 am

There used to be Artesian Toilets. Borg-Warner sold their plumbing line which became Artesian, and then Artesian was bought out by Crane. Now the Artesian site is actually called Artesian Sinks and they don't even list toilets as one of their products.
Not sure about "Artesianal"......do they have birds painted inside the bowl or something? Costco lists Artesian toilets on their website.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:29 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Thomas wrote:Yes, the idea behind "handsell" is that the retailer holds the bottle, maybe even hands it to the customer. I think it fits.

I once had a retailer kiss a bottle before he sold it to me. (This was in Italy, of course.)

LOL. Back in my halcyon youth when I worked the sales floor in a wine shop----and I did so love doing that---someone pointed out to me that when "hand selling" I quite literally did that: I would handle and fondle and caress the bottle while talking about it to the customer. When customers see you get physical (well, within limits, anyway :oops: ) with and passionate about a wine, they'll get interested in it too.

On a practical basis, if you're interested in selling (evangelizing) a good wine, it's smart tactically to pick up the bottle as the first step of getting the customer to get it in his/her hands. And I would take the occasion to run my palm across the front of the bottle, to clean up any potential dust and to put a slight glisten to the bottle from the oils on my palm. (Worked, more often than not too.) :D
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Hoke wrote:And I would take the occasion to run my palm across the front of the bottle, to clean up any potential dust and to put a slight glisten to the bottle from the oils on my palm. (Worked, more often than not too.) :D

Hoke-
You musta been pretty slick back then.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:45 pm

Redwinger wrote:
Hoke wrote:And I would take the occasion to run my palm across the front of the bottle, to clean up any potential dust and to put a slight glisten to the bottle from the oils on my palm. (Worked, more often than not too.) :D

Hoke-
You musta been pretty slick back then.
BP

I prefer "unctious", 'winger. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:07 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Not sure about "Artesianal"......do they have birds painted inside the bowl or something? Costco lists Artesian toilets on their website.

What I saw wasn't on their website, but an in-store display. But you might have hit on what happened--someone unfamiliar with the word 'Artesian' printed up a sign with 'artisanal' instead.

Btw, wasn't there a long-ago beer that advertised that it was made with 'artesian' water?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:10 pm

Jenise wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Not sure about "Artesianal"......do they have birds painted inside the bowl or something? Costco lists Artesian toilets on their website.

What I saw wasn't on their website, but an in-store display. But you might have hit on what happened--someone unfamiliar with the word 'Artesian' printed up a sign with 'artisanal' instead.

Btw, wasn't there a long-ago beer that advertised that it was made with 'artesian' water?

I wouldn't want to sit on a toilet that was labeled "Artesian". Would seem to be counter to the purpose, wouldn't it? Sometimes you want to go with the flow; sometimes you don't. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:28 pm

Hoke wrote: Sometimes you want to go with the flow; sometimes you don't. :mrgreen:

A bidet, then? :wink:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:06 pm

Thomas wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:

Yes, the idea behind "handsell" is that the retailer holds the bottle, maybe even hands it to the customer.

Is that really the idea? I thought the core idea was that the retailer engaged in discussion with the consumer about what he/she wanted, irrespective of who actually picked up the bottle first.

Otherwise you could have someone come in and ask for something they noticed via the shelf-talker and have the retailer pick up the bottle because it's too heavy/the customer can't find it/whatever.

I know what it's supposed to mean, but it seems like an awfully imprecise and distracting way of getting to the point.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:54 pm

Jenise wrote:Btw, wasn't there a long-ago beer that advertised that it was made with 'artesian' water?

Olympia Brewery:
http://www.lakelandbrewersguild.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Olympia-Beer-Labels-Olympia-Brewing-Company_44312-1.jpg
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:08 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I once had a retailer kiss a bottle before he sold it to me. (This was in Italy, of course.)

Why hadn't I ever thought of that?

Hoke: I can easily conjure a vision of you fondling a bottle. Better that than fondling the customers. But then, you are not Italian.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:49 pm

Ice sculpture..yes cake decoration maybe ...sausage....could be but salmon filets NO!
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain