Another word that's lost its meaning

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Jenise » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:58 pm

"Handcrafted".

Spied in the fresh fish counter at the grocery store this weekend: "Handcrafted Fresh King Salmon Fillets".

IOW: it's farm-raised.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26335
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Howie Hart » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:43 pm

And "Home made". You mean those frozen meatballs were made in somebody's home?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
User avatar
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo
 
Posts: 5926
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm
Location: Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Karen/NoCA » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Yikes, handcrafted fish? That is just bizarre!
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:46 am

I just don't see "handcrafted" as an appropriate adjective for most food. When I think of something that's handcrafted, I think of furniture or decorative items or birdhouses. Although I can see where people are coming from with this term, I don't see food as being "crafted".

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
User avatar
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair
 
Posts: 6975
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Jenise » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:22 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I just don't see "handcrafted" as an appropriate adjective for most food. When I think of something that's handcrafted, I think of furniture or decorative items or birdhouses. Although I can see where people are coming from with this term, I don't see food as being "crafted".


Precisely! There's a lot of cross-pollination going on in the descriptor world. A few weeks ago at a Canadian Costco, I saw an "artisanal" toilet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26335
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Rahsaan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:20 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I just don't see "handcrafted" as an appropriate adjective for most food.


Similarly, I don't see the term 'handsell' as appropriate for an engaging exchange between wine retailer and customer.
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy
 
Posts: 6958
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:32 am

Rahsaan wrote:Similarly, I don't see the term 'handsell' as appropriate for an engaging exchange between wine retailer and customer.

I can see that one: the bottle was sold by hand, not via the shelf-talker (or via recommendation or other media).
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 am
Location: NYC

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Thomas » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:41 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:Similarly, I don't see the term 'handsell' as appropriate for an engaging exchange between wine retailer and customer.

I can see that one: the bottle was sold by hand, not via the shelf-talker (or via recommendation or other media).


Yes, the idea behind "handsell" is that the retailer holds the bottle, maybe even hands it to the customer. I think it fits. Of course, Rahsaan you aren't thinking of that kind of transaction, which probably wouldn't take place between retailer and avid wine consumer--more likely between retailer and the people who shop for wine at holiday time or for someone's birthday.

Jenise, I love artisanal toilet. I'm going to find a way to get that into conversations. :lol:

One of my favorites is 'large" as in a real estate sign I saw a couple of weeks ago: "large one-acre plots."
Thomas
Senior Flamethrower
 
Posts: 3574
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:23 pm

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:22 pm

Thomas wrote:Yes, the idea behind "handsell" is that the retailer holds the bottle, maybe even hands it to the customer. I think it fits.

I once had a retailer kiss a bottle before he sold it to me. (This was in Italy, of course.)
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 am
Location: NYC

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Karen/NoCA » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:34 pm

There used to be Artesian Toilets. Borg-Warner sold their plumbing line which became Artesian, and then Artesian was bought out by Crane. Now the Artesian site is actually called Artesian Sinks and they don't even list toilets as one of their products.
Not sure about "Artesianal"......do they have birds painted inside the bowl or something? Costco lists Artesian toilets on their website.
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Hoke » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:29 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Thomas wrote:Yes, the idea behind "handsell" is that the retailer holds the bottle, maybe even hands it to the customer. I think it fits.

I once had a retailer kiss a bottle before he sold it to me. (This was in Italy, of course.)


LOL. Back in my halcyon youth when I worked the sales floor in a wine shop----and I did so love doing that---someone pointed out to me that when "hand selling" I quite literally did that: I would handle and fondle and caress the bottle while talking about it to the customer. When customers see you get physical (well, within limits, anyway :oops: ) with and passionate about a wine, they'll get interested in it too.

On a practical basis, if you're interested in selling (evangelizing) a good wine, it's smart tactically to pick up the bottle as the first step of getting the customer to get it in his/her hands. And I would take the occasion to run my palm across the front of the bottle, to clean up any potential dust and to put a slight glisten to the bottle from the oils on my palm. (Worked, more often than not too.) :D
User avatar
Hoke
Achieving Wine Immortality
 
Posts: 10444
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Redwinger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Hoke wrote:And I would take the occasion to run my palm across the front of the bottle, to clean up any potential dust and to put a slight glisten to the bottle from the oils on my palm. (Worked, more often than not too.) :D


Hoke-
You musta been pretty slick back then.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
Redwinger
Wine guru
 
Posts: 3918
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Hoke » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:45 pm

Redwinger wrote:
Hoke wrote:And I would take the occasion to run my palm across the front of the bottle, to clean up any potential dust and to put a slight glisten to the bottle from the oils on my palm. (Worked, more often than not too.) :D


Hoke-
You musta been pretty slick back then.
BP


I prefer "unctious", 'winger. :wink:
User avatar
Hoke
Achieving Wine Immortality
 
Posts: 10444
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Jenise » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:07 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Not sure about "Artesianal"......do they have birds painted inside the bowl or something? Costco lists Artesian toilets on their website.


What I saw wasn't on their website, but an in-store display. But you might have hit on what happened--someone unfamiliar with the word 'Artesian' printed up a sign with 'artisanal' instead.

Btw, wasn't there a long-ago beer that advertised that it was made with 'artesian' water?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26335
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Hoke » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:10 pm

Jenise wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Not sure about "Artesianal"......do they have birds painted inside the bowl or something? Costco lists Artesian toilets on their website.


What I saw wasn't on their website, but an in-store display. But you might have hit on what happened--someone unfamiliar with the word 'Artesian' printed up a sign with 'artisanal' instead.

Btw, wasn't there a long-ago beer that advertised that it was made with 'artesian' water?


I wouldn't want to sit on a toilet that was labeled "Artesian". Would seem to be counter to the purpose, wouldn't it? Sometimes you want to go with the flow; sometimes you don't. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Hoke
Achieving Wine Immortality
 
Posts: 10444
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Jenise » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Hoke wrote: Sometimes you want to go with the flow; sometimes you don't. :mrgreen:


A bidet, then? :wink:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26335
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Rahsaan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Thomas wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:Similarly, I don't see the term 'handsell' as appropriate for an engaging exchange between wine retailer and customer.

I can see that one: the bottle was sold by hand, not via the shelf-talker (or via recommendation or other media).


Yes, the idea behind "handsell" is that the retailer holds the bottle, maybe even hands it to the customer.


Is that really the idea? I thought the core idea was that the retailer engaged in discussion with the consumer about what he/she wanted, irrespective of who actually picked up the bottle first.

Otherwise you could have someone come in and ask for something they noticed via the shelf-talker and have the retailer pick up the bottle because it's too heavy/the customer can't find it/whatever.

I know what it's supposed to mean, but it seems like an awfully imprecise and distracting way of getting to the point.
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy
 
Posts: 6958
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:54 pm

Jenise wrote:Btw, wasn't there a long-ago beer that advertised that it was made with 'artesian' water?

Olympia Brewery:
http://www.lakelandbrewersguild.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Olympia-Beer-Labels-Olympia-Brewing-Company_44312-1.jpg
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 am
Location: NYC

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby Thomas » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:08 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I once had a retailer kiss a bottle before he sold it to me. (This was in Italy, of course.)


Why hadn't I ever thought of that?

Hoke: I can easily conjure a vision of you fondling a bottle. Better that than fondling the customers. But then, you are not Italian.
Thomas
Senior Flamethrower
 
Posts: 3574
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:23 pm

Re: Another word that's lost its meaning

Postby GeoCWeyer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Ice sculpture..yes cake decoration maybe ...sausage....could be but salmon filets NO!
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
GeoCWeyer
Wine guru
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: WoodburyMN


Return to The Forum Kitchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests