Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Polenta Shortbread

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Polenta Shortbread

by Jenise » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Made these for a dinner party the other night. The original recipe called for all semolina, but I substituted half polenta for some grainy crunch, and it also called for lemon and rosemary where I substituted orange and fennel seed to pair up with a Napa Valley muscat (Beaulieu's), which was perfection. One bowl, one pan and one batch of cookies in 30 minutes--doesn't get much easier than that!

1.25 c AP flour
1/2 c semolina
1/2 c raw polenta
2/3 c granulated sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp salt
7 tblsp unsalted butter, melted
1 whole egg plus 1 yolk
zest of one naval orange
1 tblsp fennel seeds
Additional sugar for rolling

Preheat oven to 325 F. Combine the dry goods in a mixer bowl. Stir the eggs, zest and rosemary into the butter, and pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Run the mixer until a crumbly dough forms. Pour sugar into a shallow dish. Roll the cookies into 24 one-inch diameter balls, coat with sugar and arrange 6 x 4 on a silpat- or parchment-lined baking sheet. Use the bottom of a short glass with a 3" wide bottom to press into cookies 1/4 inch thick. Bake until firm, approximately 12 minutes. Cool in the pan, they crisp up just fine by themselves.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: RCP: Polenta Shortbread

by Christina Georgina » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:41 pm

Well done ! Somewhat similar to Gialetti which I make often because I love the cornmeal but the savory element never occurred to me. Next batch will be different.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Re: RCP: Polenta Shortbread

by Tom NJ » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:14 am

This sounds GREAT! I'm gonna try this soon. Bravo!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."