Okay here is some useful info I have recorded over the years.. I love horseradish and fresh is great if somewhat tricky to deal with. Anyone ever grown wasabi?? I am going to try and get some wasabi root to try growing that as well.
1. To grate your own horseradish by hand, hold cleaned and trimmed horseradish root firmly. Using a sharp vegetable peeler, carefully remove the outer layer. Rub peeled horseradish root against a fine grating surface using downward, criss cross motion.
2. A quicker, more efficient method uses a blender. Wash and peel the root as you would a potato and dice it into small cubes. Place the cubes in the blender jar. Process not more that half a container load at a time. Add a small amount of cold water and crushed ice. Start with enough cold water to completely cover the blades of the blender. Add several crushed ice cubes. Put the cover on the blender before turning the blender on. If necessary, add more water or crushed ice to complete the grinding.
3. When the mixture reaches the desired consistency, add white vinegar. Use 2 to 3 tablespoons of white vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt for each cup of grated horseradish. The time at which you add the vinegar is important. Vinegar stops the enzymatic action in the ground product and stabilizes the degree of hotness. If you prefer horseradish that is not too hot, add the vinegar immediately. If you like it as hot as can be, wait three minutes before adding the vinegar. Fresh horseradish roots may also be finely shaved or grated and added directly to a food. This simple method is frequently used by discriminating cooks. Fine shavings may also be placed in a dish of lemon juice to be served at the table.
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbs grated fresh horseradish or drained prepared horseradish
1/8 tsp paprika
1 garlic clove, minced
1. Combine sour cream, horseradish, paprika and garlic in small bowl until well blended.Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.)
Creamy Horseradish Sauce
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup freshly ground pure horseradish
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp dry mustard
Generous dash of cayenne pepper
1. Whip cream with a mixer until it forms stiff peaks.
2. Gently fold in remaining ingredients.
1 cup dry mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup oil
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp grated lemon peel
5 Tbs horseradish
1. Combine ingredients in a food processor or blender. Mix well. Jar and seal mustard. Age 2 to 8 weeks, then refrigerate.