Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tomato Pudding?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Tomato Pudding?

by Jenise » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:46 pm

In the latest Saveur, an article about Mary Sue Milliken's Thanksgiving traditions (she of The Border Grilll in Santa Monica and a long-ago cooking show called Too Hot Tamales) describes a Tomato Pudding. Essentially, it's a bread pudding made with canned tomatoes. Maybe it was the lighting, but the picture of that dish as it appeared on the family table didn't look so great to me (whoever put the mixture into the Creuset type dutch oven it baked in didn't clean up the sides or edges, so there was a lot of messy baked-on stuff, and that probably affected my opinion), but I otherwise love the sound of it: bread, olive oil, butter, onion, pecorino cheese, brown sugar, lemon juice, thyme, canned tomatoes and canned tomato puree. I've never had a tomato-only bread pudding, but it sounds like my idea of heaven.

But not on Thanksgiving, I have to admit. I can imagine a kind of pizza margarita version: melting a flew blobs of fresh mozz on top with fresh basil and a shiny coating of olive oil, and serving all by itself as a vegetarian main course or scooping to eat along side some pan fried Italian sausage (released from the casing, fork mashed into a patty).

(Karen, consider your preserved summer tomatoes for something like this!)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Re: Tomato Pudding?

by GeoCWeyer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:38 pm

I do like the general idea. I think with some tweaking (not twerking!) it might really be a good side dish.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:53 pm

George, I'll probably make a version of that next Sunday. Will report back!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:21 am

A basic procedure for a tomato bread pudding that lurks in my recipe collection.
Lends itself to infinite variation.
Another way to go with tomatoes and bread is to make it up as you would the traditional summer pudding made with berries. This makes a great summer starter or side as well.
So you guys are all picking your last and I am just about to plant the summer vegies. :D

Tomato Bread Pudding

1. Line a greased souffle dish with pieces of toasted country bread, then thick tomato slices, olive oil, salt, pepper, sugar, basil and oregano, then bread, then tomato, oil, salt, pepper, sugar, basil and oregano again. Sprinkle with a bunch of Parmesan cheese and top with toasted bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, uncovered, then cover and bake for 30 minutes more. Serve for brunch for Sunday night supper. NB Probably nicer if tomatoes are peeled. Crusts are not a problem CAn top with mozzarella etc This recipe is flexible cooking wise, I have cooked it in the microwave first and then put it in the oven to reduce the overall time.

Servings: 1

Source
Author: from the Washington Times From food column by Joycelyn Winnecke
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Barb, your recipe is closer to what I would want a tomato pudding to be then the recipe I tore out. For a one-pound loaf of bread, it calls for 1 28 ounce can of tomatoes AND a 16 ounce can of tomato puree. Sounds a bit too heavy, and I was prepared to use only the whole tomatoes. (Which is why I didn't post the recipe, I can't recommend it yet.)
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:51 am

I've always, always liked Ms. Milliken. I'd be willing to give that recipe a shot based on the halo effect alone. If you make it (more or less verbatim from her recipe) let me know how it worked out, willya? I think I could dig up a Le Creuset around here somewhere....
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:10 pm

I'm making a tomato pudding tonight. Tom, after reading your request, think I'll make two versions, one basic and one embellished.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Alright! Can't wait to hear how it turns out. (Feel free to embellish :D )
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:10 pm

IMG_0499-001.JPG

So this was dinner last night. It was absolutely delicious. Would be good by itself as a side dish but was excellent as a vegetarian main course--I baked it with little mozzarella balls over the top and served it with shredded basil. Was great sharing a plate with a garlicky green salad. HOWEVER, for a main course, I think I'd have been even happier had I just scooped the tomato stuff over the crisped-up bread cubes, keeping their original texture and flavor in tact, and served it then and there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:50 pm

Oh my god does that sing to my Italian soul! If it tasted even half as good as it looks you were in my idea of culinary heaven. Bravissimo!