Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pumpkin curry soup

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Pumpkin curry soup

by Thomas » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:02 pm

We are overrun with pumpkin. My favorite way to eat the stuff is as soup, pie or cheesecake ingredient.

The soup:

If you want to save the pumpkin seeds for toasting, scoop the stringy stuff with the seeds out first and then steam a pumpkin; scoop the steamed pumpkin off the skin and put it into a food processor.

Saute two small or one large shallot (for one minute), add two or three cloves minced garlic (saute for another minute), remove from heat.

Add to the pumpkin in the processor the shallot and garlic, plus 1/2 cup sweet sherry or madeira (you can also add a little carrot if you like). Puree.

Pour the puree into a large stainless pan, add copious amounts of curry mix (to taste, of course). Cook on medium heat for about ten minutes to get everything to meld, stirring and adding stock frequently to keep the mix just shy of liquified. It will bubble.

To serve, ladle into bowls, and in each bowl pour 1/4 cup of heavy cream and swirl--twice. Add some chopped walnuts and chopped parsley garnish. Eat up.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Pumpkin curry soup

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Try cutting it into cubes and roasting it. Toss with a few potatoes and onion chunks, tossed with olive oil and S&P, spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast at 400-450 for 20 minutes or until everything is tender and juicy on the inside, roasty and brown on the surface, and full of caramelized flavor. Eat as is or use as an ingredient.

Best. Pumpkin. Ever. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Try cutting it into cubes and roasting it. Toss with a few potatoes and onion chunks, tossed with olive oil and S&P, spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast at 400-450 for 20 minutes or until everything is tender and juicy on the inside, roasty and brown on the surface, and full of caramelized flavor. Eat as is or use as an ingredient.

I'll give that a try.

My wife likes pumpkin sauce over pasta--I don't.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:51 pm

Thomas wrote: My wife likes pumpkin sauce over pasta--I don't.

Yeah, I find it too sweet (same with squash) for pasta. Small doses in ravioli work, but nothing too apparent like a sauce.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Thomas wrote: My wife likes pumpkin sauce over pasta--I don't.

Yeah, I find it too sweet (same with squash) for pasta. Small doses in ravioli work, but nothing too apparent like a sauce.

That's it--too sweet. I did have pumpkin ravioli a couple of times, with red pepper sauce. Liked that.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:26 pm

I'm with you both. Butternut squash sauces for ravioli seemed to be all the rage a few years ago, and I found them too sweet to eat much.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:34 am

Cut butternut squash (or pumpkin) into 1/2" dice. Put 1 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp butter, 2 tsp cider vinegar (yes teaspoons), 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp sugar, and a dash of cinnamon and 1 cup cider in a pan, add the squash, and boil. Boil, boil, boil. When the liquid evaps, keep going and get a good roast on the squash. Mix with some toasted cashews and serve. Yum.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Try cutting it into cubes and roasting it. Toss with a few potatoes and onion chunks, tossed with olive oil and S&P, spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast at 400-450 for 20 minutes or until everything is tender and juicy on the inside, roasty and brown on the surface, and full of caramelized flavor. Eat as is or use as an ingredient.

Yum! Kinda reminds me of my favorite butternut squash recipe...roasted fresh garlic, red bell peppers, and rosemary...topped with parmesan.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:50 pm

Thomas wrote:
That's it--too sweet. I did have pumpkin ravioli a couple of times, with red pepper sauce. Liked that.

That would be good! I make a brown butter sauce for mine with carmelized onions and sautéed proscuitto and lots of fresh parsley. It kinda has that sweet/salty thing going for it.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)