The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 6 x LdH

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 6 x LdH

by Saina » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:00 am

A friend recently bought samples of the current releases of López de Heredias so we had to go help him drink them. It might have been the vintages on show, but these seemed more fruity and less acidic than I remember most LdHs to have been. But very attractive wines anyway.

Recaredo Subtil Gran Reserva Brut nature 2007
A really enjoyable Cava, quite aromatic and leesy; rich and fruity though a brut nature (but it doesn't taste like a BN).

López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Crianza Viña Gravonia 2003
Lovely, typical LdH profile of slightly oxidative fruit. But it does seem a bit lower in acidity or sweeter in fruit than typical - atypical year must be to blame - but with enough acidity and general liveliness to keep this very moreish.

R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Reserva Viña Tondonia 1998
Oxidative, rich, waxy. Yummy but young.

R. López de Heredia Rioja Crianza Viña Cubillo 2006
Really lovely wine! Fresh, savoury cherry aromas and some nice savoury thing like tobacco; proper structure though supposedly an entry-level wine so it's refreshing and moreish. Could use a bit of time in the bottle to get rid of some slight oak aromas (and I thought this only saw huge old barrels?), but even like this I like it.

R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Bosconia 2003
Nice for the vintage. Actually very much like the Cubillo but with sweeter fruit and that slightly raisiny edge that these hot vintages so often get.

R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia 2001
Quite a ripe year with a slight raisiny touch, but gladly also lots of savoury, leathery, earthy, tobacco goodness. Concentrated, nicely structured though not very tannic, very fresh and savoury on the finish. Nice!

R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia 1994
Very nice, slightly stinky nose with all that savoury goodness I expect from the producer. Ripe and sweet fruit and very easy to drink despite being a young wine. Nice!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.