The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Slanted House, Clos Du Val, and Orange Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Slanted House, Clos Du Val, and Orange Wine

by Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:10 am

2010 Clos Du Val Petit Verdot. Classic Clos Du Val character, with delicious and mouth watering acidity and that "tangyness" that I seem to find in most of their wines. Also...lovely dark plum fruit, definitely some tannins but not over the top. Nice Stuff!

2011 Slanted House Cabernet Franc. Spring Mountain, Napa County. This was a nice surprise recommended a few months ago by Rich at Groezinger's in Yountville. Even this young, the wine was pretty classic cabernet franc, with some refreshing herbal notes, that lovely cassis fruit, and a very fine-grained mouthfeel and tannic structure. I think it is that mouthfeel that really sold me on this wine! I honestly was thinking about good Chinon or Bourgeuil as I was drinking this.

Santa Cristina Chianti Superiore. Didn't catch the vintage...guessing 2010 or 2011. This wine started out quite fruity/sweet with cherry and berry fruit, but over the hour it really blossomed into a much more "classic" tangy and earthy Chianti. I know they are a "big" producer and this is one of their entry level wines, but I find Antinori a pretty darn solid choice on otherwise mediocre wine lists!

2012 Donkey and Goat Stonerusher Rousanne El Dorado County. Pale orange in color. I was able to introduce some friends to the joys of skin-contact whites! Delicious sweet Rousanne fruit with a definite citrus/orange rind character. As with the other wines this weekend (tangyness seems to be the theme) Tangy and mouthwatering character. No alcoholic burn at all. Nice stuff!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: Slanted House, Clos Du Val, and Orange Wine

by Brian Gilp » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:05 pm

Brian, what is the ballpark price on the Petit Verdot? I like PV but its not on many shelves here unless it comes from VA as I don't think it sells real well.

Any idea on the Alc on the D&G? Tangy for a Roussane makes me think its low like the Broc version.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:Brian, what is the ballpark price on the Petit Verdot? I like PV but its not on many shelves here unless it comes from VA as I don't think it sells real well.

Any idea on the Alc on the D&G? Tangy for a Roussane makes me think its low like the Broc version.

$35 retail, Brian.

13.9 on the Donkey and Goat. D&G are literally three doors down from Broc's new winery on Fifth Street, and they do share a philosophy. If you like Broc, you will probably like D&G. Although Luc, one of the owners at Terroir Wine Bar in San Francisco, seems to believe that D&G go higher in alcohol.

I think the tangyness comes more from the skin contact than low alcohol, though. Definitely some orange wine character, although I don't believe they are using clay yet!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

by TomHill » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
Brian Gilp wrote:Brian, what is the ballpark price on the Petit Verdot? I like PV but its not on many shelves here unless it comes from VA as I don't think it sells real well.

$35 retail, Brian.
I think the tangyness comes more from the skin contact than low alcohol, though. Definitely some orange wine character, although I don't believe they are using clay yet!

I don't think Tracey & Jared are using full-out orange wine techniques...yet. I think they leave the Roussanne in skin-contact only partially thru the fermentation.
Not sure if they've started to clay amphorae yet, but I think they're interested.
Tom
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:57 pm

TomHill wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:

$35 retail, Brian.

I don't think Tracey & Jared are using full-out orange wine techniques...yet. I think they leave the Roussanne in skin-contact only partially thru the fermentation.
Not sure if they've started to clay amphorae yet, but I think they're interested.
Tom

Yeah, that description did not sound to me like a true orange wine.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:10 pm

TomHill wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:

$35 retail, Brian.

Tom

I think you are fully correct, Tom. Thanks for the clarification.

Anyway, we (my friends and I) certainly finished the bottle, so whatever they did, it worked! :lol:
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:33 pm

Brian,
Thomas Brocker, the winemaker for Slanted House, works in the same facility I do. A gentle man and a very skilled winemaker who "likes acid;" he said those very words to me yesterday when he tasted my 2013 SB from barrel.
BTW, many of his fruit sources this year have really good pedigree - I think 2013 may be a fine vintage for the label.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:30 pm

Thanks Brian.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:53 pm

Florida Jim wrote:Brian,
Thomas Brocker, the winemaker for Slanted House, works in the same facility I do. A gentle man and a very skilled winemaker who "likes acid;" he said those very words to me yesterday when he tasted my 2013 SB from barrel.
BTW, many of his fruit sources this year have really good pedigree - I think 2013 may be a fine vintage for the label.
Best, Jim

Thanks Jim.

Please tell him he has a new fan! "Likes Acid" is music to my ears!

I have not idea why I have not tried any of YOUR wines, by the way. I saw one at Arlequin...I need to splurge!
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:49 am

Brian K Miller wrote:
Florida Jim wrote:Brian,
Best, Jim

Thanks Jim.

Please tell him he has a new fan! "Likes Acid" is music to my ears!

I have not idea why I have not tried any of YOUR wines, by the way. I saw one at Arlequin...I need to splurge!

Or call me and we can taste thru the line-up so you have an idea of what I offer. Harvest is in the barrel now so I have time.
Cell is 828-260-0005.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks, Jim!