The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: DryCreekVnyd Zin HeritageVines '11..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: DryCreekVnyd Zin HeritageVines '11..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:18 pm

Susan&I tried this last night w/ our vegetarian dinner:
1. DryCreekVnyd Zin HeritageVines/SonomaCnty (VineAge: 20 yrs; 84% Zin/16% PS; 14.5%; www.DryCreekVineyard.com) 2011: Dark color; very strong blackberry/raspberry/Zin/quite spicy bit licorice/RCCola light toasty/oak/pungent quite perfumed nose; soft strong blackberry/raspberry/Zin/very spicy/licorice/RCCola light toasty/vanilla/oak very balanced flavor w/ modest/smooth/well-integrated tannins; long lush/ripe/balanced strong blackberry/raspberry/Zin very spicy/perfumed light vanilla/toasty/oak finish w/ modest tannins; seems much more like RRV Zin than DCV Zin; the best Heritage Zin from DryCreekVnyds I can recall; an absolute steal at $19.00 (KK)
1. I have followed DryCreekVnyd from the very start, the '72 CheninBlanc from RochioliVnyd and the '72 GamayBeaujolais. Both were absolutely delicious wines and started my love affair w/ DCV. DaveStare's first Zin was the '73, put up in a Burgundy btl. I was rather underwhelmed by it, to say the least. It was a lightweight & pretty red, but just that. But you have to remember, back there in the mid-'70's, Zin had to be big/powerful/oak-laden, and alcoholic; the more the better. Fortunately, my taste in Zin has changed over the yrs.
The HeritageVines Zin is from a selection of old vines that DCV propagated some 20 yrs ago in their vnyd at the wnry. It's their least expensive Zin and long been a favorite of mine for the $$. This new '11 vintage seems like a real step up over previous vintages. It tends to have a bright/spicy/pretty Zin character that speaks of DryCreekVlly. This '11 seems to be more like a RRV Zin in intensity and character w/ more blackberry fruit and less pretty raspberry fruit. It's a great buy for a value Zin at $19. I expect it will show up in our local TJ's at a somewhat cheaper price. Back up the truck.
Tom
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

Re: WTN: DryCreekVnyd Zin HeritageVines '11..(short/boring)

by Drew Hall » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Tried one and purchased a case, including tax, at $15 a bottle. Wonderful very perfumed zin, complex flavors, well balanced and richly textured, but not heavy. One of the best QPR zins I've had. Thanks Tom for the "one up".

Drew
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: WTN: DryCreekVnyd Zin HeritageVines '11..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:36 am

Drew Hall wrote:Tried one and purchased a case, including tax, at $15 a bottle. Wonderful very perfumed zin, complex flavors, well balanced and richly textured, but not heavy. One of the best QPR zins I've had. Thanks Tom for the "one up".
Drew

Glad you liked it, Drew. Always happy to be an enabler.
Tom