Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sheepshead / Maitake Mushrooms

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Sheepshead / Maitake Mushrooms

by Fred Sipe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:29 am

A friend gave me a pretty good size one last night. What to do?

I'm leaning towards a simple pasta prep or mushroom soup. I like Anthony Bourdain's shroom soup recipe. There just might be enough there for both.

This will be a rare treat for me as I've never had these before. What would you do?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Sheepshead / Maitake Mushrooms

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:10 pm

For me, I'd love a steak and mushroom feed or how about a Fettuccini Alfredo and Maitake. Our daughter lives in Ohio and has those on her property. They get so huge!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:36 pm

No wonder I'm confused. It's a mushroom? I thought it was a Lake Erie fish, also know as the freshwater drum, especially since your friend gave you a good size one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freshwater_drum
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

by Fred Sipe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:22 pm

Howie Hart wrote:No wonder I'm confused. It's a mushroom? I thought it was a Lake Erie fish, also know as the freshwater drum, especially since your friend gave you a good size one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freshwater_drum

Sounds like they are not particularly good to eat. I'll stick with the fungus. :D
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:21 pm

As soon as I read the original question I remembered this episode of Iron Chef Japan years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPIcABDyj2o

You're lucky to have them!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:53 pm

Lots of flavor here. We had a regular source in Nyc and would use them on pizza. But pretty much any preparation where you're prepared for strong flavor will do well. Delicious stuff.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Hen of the Woods, you mean! A wonderful mushroom. Spritz it with a little EVOO, sprinkle it with a bit of salt and pepper, and roast it in the oven till it is crisp at the edges and tender in the middle.

Break off small chunks and wrap in ravioli skins. Simmer gently and serve al brodo, possible with a few shreds of scallion.

Break off large chunks, saute fast and hot, and heap over steak or pasta carbonara or grilled corn (off the cob).

Seems a shame to sacrifice them for soup.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

by Fred Sipe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:25 am

Well, tonight's the night. I think it's going to be just a simple saute in olive oil and butter with shallots and garlic over linguine.

If I have enough I'll make a small amount of soup for the appetizer!

Thanks for the suggestions.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:33 am

It has been a few years but I recall the larger sheepshead had lovely flacky white meat. When I lived in La Crosse WI in the early 90s the commercial fisherman would set their nets in the Mississippi right in town and pull out thousands of pounds of drum. These were sold and sent to Chicago. I now see them in the Asian grocery stores here in St Paul.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain