The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Burlotto X 8,great CdP, fine Saves, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Burlotto X 8,great CdP, fine Saves, etc

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Tuesday grilled tuna, grilled tofu, rice, and spinach salad with the 2009 Joguet “Cuvee de la Cure” Chinon. Takes a bit to come out of shell, but nice when it does. Dark juicy fruit, menthol and herb, good acids, crunchy finish. Could use a bit of time but nice. B+/B

Wednesday roast chicken but no wine, as I was taking a group from Sarah Lawrence into city. Thursday I came home from work, decanted a Barolo, and headed to Pound Ridge. John Gilman is writing an article on Burlotto and Dan hosted a tasting. I was first to arrive, Dan greeted with 2 delicious but very different Champagnes.

Camille Saves (I believe this was the Cuvee de Reserve)
This got better and better through the night. Elegant, with a fine mousse, but with some power. Lovely Champagne (I have quite liked the Saves rose for a while, but can’t remember a white bubbly before) - I initially preferred the Beaufort, but this really grew on me. . A-

Andre Beaufort Bouzy Grand Cru Reserve
Very sweet fruit (high dosage?), candied orange peel dominates, with passion fruit and ginger. Exotic and different. B+

I wasn’t taking notes (and was mostly listening to John talk about the history of both the Burlotto family and of winemaking in Barolo, as well as the changes in what vineyards are considered prestigious over a century plus) as we went through the core of the tasting: 2008 and 2009 bottles of the Burlotto Acclivi, Cannubi, and Monvigliero Barolos. . Very interesting wines, with the 2009s being much more accessible at moment. As expected,I think the 2008s will be the long distance runners. The Acclivi was quite aromatic/spicy in both vintages, I think the Monvigliero was my favorite in both. There was some concern over whether the 2008 Cannubi was a sound bottle, it was my least favorite of the evening, and the only one I wouldn’t buy happily. I’m looking forward to the View from the Cellar article.

I had brought along a bottle of the 2012 Burlotto “Elatis” - as previously reported, a full and flavorful rose, as John said perfect for grilled meat on a hot summer day. B+/B

Now, I had quickly double-decanted the 1996 Burlotto “Neirane” Barolo (John said this vineyard is now the base for the Acclivi) before I left home. But when I poured at Dan’s I was disappointed- some volatility, stink, smells off. John however was serene and said “I think it’s fine, it just needs more air.” Yeah, right. Well yes, he was right! 15 minutes saw noticeable improvement, and about ½ hour after it was poured it had turned into a lovely example of Nebbiolo. Medium-bodied, rose and tar over red fruit, nice length. Not a powerhouse, but classic old school Barolo (more mature than some big name ‘96s). B+/A-

We had been having cheese and bread, Dan put out a nice dinner of pork, potatoes, and mushrooms with 2 blind wines

Wine #1 : Sweet, elegant, red fruited. Someone guessed Burgundy, no, but the I correctly guessed Rhone (of course I was thinking Northern maybe CR, but still I was right). Once Rhone was established John got Beaucastel and vintage right away. Beautiful, long, One of the best CdPs I’ve ever had. 1981 Ch, Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape A-/A

Wine #2: Floral, pretty, delicate. Not especially long, but I might have shortchanged this one in my fascination with the Beaucastel. Cathleen got Rioja quickly 1982 CVNE Vina Real (think GR) B/B+

I was solo Friday, and had leftovers- Betsy had made a white bean and lamb dish for dinner Thursday. I opened the 2006 Feudo Montoni “Vrucara” Nero d’Avola. Medium bodied, seemingly a bit riper than ‘05 or ‘04 of this, cherry/red fruits, sandalwood. B+/B

Saturday a friend came by and I opened the just arrived 2012 Cowan Cellars Rose. Very happy with this- crunchy red fruit, pale with a mineral streak, nice acidity. B++

I spatckcocked a cornish hen and grilled, had with some caprese (Dave went to Arthur Ave), green salad, and Madonia olive bread. Wine was the 2010 Roilette/Coudert Fleurie. Yum! Pure sappy red fruit, showing well, light tannin, good acids. A-

Sunday Betsy drove back from Philadelpia while I prepared dinner for our anniversary. She eventually survived the traffic, and I welcomed her with a glass of the NV Jacquemart “Marie Weiss” Brut Champagne. Easygoing lighter style of bubbly, crisp apple fruit. B

So I made pasta with lobster/tomato/arugula/lemon/basil, with miso glazed delicata squash and salad. Wine was the 2012 Bruna “Maje” Pigato. Clean, lemony, fresh, with a little saline streak. Nice uncomplicated wine, and an excellent match with the main dish, B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Burlotto X 8,great CdP, fine Saves, etc

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Interesting note on the 2010 Coudert. Last time I had it there was nothing but a dark wall.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:12 pm

I opened about an hour before first pour, but no decant, seemed fine and open from first pour (NB this is the regular, not the Tardive)
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Belated happy anniversary wishes to you and Betsy.