The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Canaries Taking Flight

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

WTN: Canaries Taking Flight

by Andrew Bair » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:19 pm

2007 Bodegas Viñátigo Vijariego Blanco Ycoden-Daute-Isora
Vijariego Blanco is an obscure grape from the Canary Islands that I could not find much about – unlike the Listáns, Tintilla, and Negramoll, it doesn’t seem to be a variety that grows by another name elsewhere. Nutty/smoky/caraway nose. Full-bodied, round, well balanced, smooth, bone dry; lightly honeyed/lightly mineral, with floral, hazelnut, and white fruit notes, with a bit of caraway/baking spice. I have read a couple of notes on this wine comparing it aromatically to a good village white Burgundy, and the comparison is valid in my book. Very good/excellent.

2010 Bodegas Viñátigo Rosato Ycoden-Daute-Isora
100% Listán Negro. Full, moderately acidic, round, denser than some, with notes of red and tropical fruits; watermelon, oranges, and red currants. Very good+.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Canaries Taking Flight

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:22 pm

Thanks.
What are price points for these? I've liked most Canary Island wines I've tried, but not much "entry priced" for exploration
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Canaries Taking Flight

by Jenise » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks for the note, as I didn't even know wines were produced in the Canary Islands--I've never seen let alone tasted one. Very intriguing descriptions.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov