The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2011 Ridge Petite Sirah Lytton Estate

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2011 Ridge Petite Sirah Lytton Estate

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:47 am

2011 Ridge Petite Sirah Lytton Estate - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (10/6/2013)
Shockingly forward and approachable. This is about the frindliest (in a slobbering puppy sort of way) Petite Sirah I have ever had. There's some tannin in the background, but barely enough for structure. Frankly it's just weird to drink a Ridge Petite Sirah that is this simple/fruity.

If this is the direction that the team is going to take with their renditions of this variety then I am done.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: WTN: 2011 Ridge Petite Sirah Lytton Estate

by Brian Gilp » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:01 pm

How long did you have the wine open. I wrote the note below about a PS that seemed to lack tannin for the first three hours but then they became much more pronounced

Opened a 2011 le P'tit Paysan tonight. Not what one expects of a young Petit Syrah. Tannins are not excessive. Wine is not jammy. Instead its almost sleek. Has some noticeable acid, med+ frame, pure raspberry flavor but the nose is more complex. Hoping for some more complexity with age but very nice as is today. Only drawback is that the finish is a little short and a touch bitter. Listed alc is 13.7%. Price is around $20. Great QPR.

After about three hours, the tannins do become more front and center.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:09 pm

Ultimately about 4.5 hours.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:49 pm

No clue. Possibly related, I have started to notice that I seem to prefer the wines made by Eric over those made by John.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Perhaps...

by TomHill » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:15 am

Brian Gilp wrote:No clue. Possibly related, I have started to notice that I seem to prefer the wines made by Eric over those made by John.

Perhaps, Brian. Although there is no heir-apparent betwixt John/Eric; they're all very collegial. I think part of it is that Eriic, because of their larger
production capacity at MonteBello, has the more primo vnyds to work with...Geyserville, Pagani, YorkCreek, MonteBello. Much of the
capacity at LyttonSprings is given over to 3Vllys production.
Tom
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:23 pm

David,
Several producers in the Sierra Foothills remarked to me that they have been trying to make their PS in a fashion that can be consumed young. "Nobody wants to wait 8 years to drink their wine", they said. Like you, I found them friendly but lacking both body and character.
-Shaji
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:18 pm

If I wanted a wine to drink young I would not be buying Petite Sirah!
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

by TomHill » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:54 am

David M. Bueker wrote:2011 Ridge Petite Sirah Lytton Estate - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (10/6/2013)
Shockingly forward and approachable. This is about the frindliest (in a slobbering puppy sort of way) Petite Sirah I have ever had. There's some tannin in the background, but barely enough for structure. Frankly it's just weird to drink a Ridge Petite Sirah that is this simple/fruity.

If this is the direction that the team is going to take with their renditions of this variety then I am done.

David,
We had this last night in a big tasting of Ridges. Alas, it was pretty badly corked & no fruit to be found.
But on the palate, it seemed to be very soft/fat/porky and totally devoid of any structure. Will try
another btl in the next few days.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Porky meaning fat?
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup....

by TomHill » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:09 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Porky meaning fat?

Porky (in my lexicon) is one step beyond fat...an appalling lack of acidity.
I could probably post a couple of pics, David..but it'd gross you out!!!
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:17 pm

That's ok. I'll just look at some of my bottles of 2003 German Riesling Kabinett.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:31 pm

David; I suspect that in 2011 it was not possible for Ridge to make a Petite Sirah of normal proportions. Cold, wet year. It's probably a vintage-appropriate wine.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:04 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:David; I suspect that in 2011 it was not possible for Ridge to make a Petite Sirah of normal proportions. Cold, wet year. It's probably a vintage-appropriate wine.

Thanks Steve. I am not close to the vintage conditions reports, so I was not really aware of that.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Hmmmm...

by TomHill » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:19 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:David; I suspect that in 2011 it was not possible for Ridge to make a Petite Sirah of normal proportions. Cold, wet year. It's probably a vintage-appropriate wine.

Hmmmmm, Steve...can't quite understand why this would be the case. At 13.5% alcohol, it was lower than usual. But if it were a cold/wet year and the grapes
had trouble ripening, I would expect the wine to be on the hard/tannic/grean/lean side; not the soft/fat/porky structure it seems to show.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:00 pm

I'd have to guess that a decision to vinify differently was made based on the difference in fruit condition for the vintage, Tom.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:56 pm

I have not had this vintage, but just picked up a bottle of the 2010, and now am thinking about it before too long just to get a sense of what's inside. For the sake of comparison, though, the 2010 has a more expected 14.3% alcohol.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

My TN

by TomHill » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:00 am

David,
Retasted thiis wine last night:
11. Ridge PetiteSirah LyttonEstate/DryCreekVlly/SonomaCnty (100% PS; 13.5%; Drk: 12/12-12/22: JO; Whole Berry
frmtn) 2011
: First btl was pretty badly corked and no fruit; but soft/fat/porky on the palate and no structure
to speak of. Seconf btl: Black color; some fruity/plummy/licorice/ripe PS slight peppery/earthy/mushroomy
light vanilla/oak nose; soft/fat/lush/ripe fruity/plummy/licorice/ripe PS light vanilla/oak bit simple/one-
dimensional flavor w/ some hard/astringent tannins; med.short soft/fat/ripe fruity/plummy/licorice/ripe PS
light vanilla/oak finish w/ some hard/bitey tannins in the aftertaste; a rather simple/fruity/ripe PS but
totally lacking in structure or grip; hard to see this wine going anywhere; a rather simple/boring PS and
a rare clunker for Ridge. $nc (MR)/$30.00

Pretty much confirms (as if you really needed it) your take on the wine.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:09 am

Thanks Tom. Guess I will keep my other bottles in the drinking queue for non-geek friends.