WTN: Two TBA Calif Rieslings...(short/boring)

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Two TBA Calif Rieslings...(short/boring)

Postby TomHill » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:28 pm

Tried these two botrytis Rieslings over the last few weeks:
1. FirestoneVnyd JohannisbergRiesling SlctdHrvst Ambassador'sVnyd/SantaYnezVlly (RS: 17.6%; SaH: 44%; 9.7%) LosOlivos 1985: Very dark brown/PX color; very intense botrytis/apricot syrup/peachy syrup/fruit compote complex nose; rather tart/sweet&sour slight metallic/tangy very intense botrytis/peach syrup/apricotty/fruit cocktail quite sweet/tart somewhat complex flavor; very long/lingering very sweet intense botrytis/peach syrup/apricotty/stewed fruit complex finish; quite a good/typical example of an old Calif TBA.
2. JeckelVnyd Riesling LateHrvst (EB; 8.2%; SaH: 28% on Sept 26-27-28; RS: 12.8%) 1981: Dark brown rather murky/cloudy color; very intense botrytis/peachy/apricotty/fruit cocktail some earthy quite complex/old TBA very interesting nose; tart quite sweet rather nutty/oxidized huge botrytis/apricotty/peach syrup rather sweet/sour/tangy bit herbal/dusty complex flacor; very long/lingering quite tart/tangy intense botrytis/peach syrup/apricotty slight oxidized/nutty quite complex finish; a very exotic/complex old Calif TBA that went well w/ the pumpkin bread pudding. $3.75/hlf
1. Both of these wines were a real pleasure to drink and will probably go on another 10-15 yrs..if the corks hold out. As I find w/ most wines like this w/ heavy botrytis, any varietal character (as I recognize it) is utterly destroyed. Though not tasted together, I slightly preferred the Firestone for being a bit fresher. The Jekel was beginning to show a bit of oxidation.
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start

Re: WTN: Two TBA Calif Rieslings...(short/boring)

Postby David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:40 pm

Does anybody still really do these kind of wines other than Navarro? I have not seen the Arrowood versions in years.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Yup...

Postby TomHill » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:52 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Does anybody still really do these kind of wines other than Navarro? I have not seen the Arrowood versions in years.

Yup...these kind of wines are still being made. Though not as often as they used to be. And often from Semillon/SauvBlanc/CheninBlanc,
rather than Riesling. But certainly Navarro pretty much stand heads&shoulders above the field.
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start

Postby JC (NC) » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Greenwood Ridge has produced a Late Harvest Riesling at least as recently as 2008. Here is a reference to the 2006 vintage:

http://www.greenwoodridge.com/wine_chap ... arvest.htm

These are from Anderson Valley. I have enjoyed these in the past.
JC (NC)
Lifelong Learner

Postby Andrew Bair » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Thank you for the notes, Tom. Wish there were more of these sweet CA Rieslings around - would be fun to try.

At any rate, Freemark Abbey still makes their Edelwein/Edelwein Gold. The 2011 Edelwein Gold is available for sale on their website - http://www.freemarkabbey.com/wine-exclu ... startrow=1. I have never seen the Navarro LH Riesling, but will now have to buy one if I come across it.

As far as Arrowood, it seems that the Select Late Harvest Riesling is most recently from Saralee's Vineyard, as opposed to Hoot Owl. I've also seen a Late Harvest Riesling from them that is not vineyard designated, going for about $25MA/375ml.
Andrew Bair
Wine guru

Hmmm....

Postby TomHill » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:46 am

Andrew Bair wrote:.... going for about $25MA/375ml.

Hmmmm...what's that mean, Andrew??? Does the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts now
have their own currency??? :-)
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start

Postby wnissen » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:04 pm

I have also loved the Greenwood bottlings.

Wente Vineyards in my backyard makes a late harvest riesling, for around $25 a half. I've yet to try it, though I have a 2008
and 1998 in the cellar. They don't seem to distribute it, though; I think you have to go to the winery because Wine Searcher
has nothing.

Walt
Walter Nissen
wnissen
Wine guru

Re: Hmmm....

Postby Andrew Bair » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:59 pm

TomHill wrote:
Andrew Bair wrote:.... going for about $25MA/375ml.

Hmmmm...what's that mean, Andrew??? Does the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts now
have their own currency??? :-)
Tom

No, we still use the dollar over here - just that our prices tend to be high compared with a lot of other states - NY for example, so it might well cost a few dollars less elsewhere.
Andrew Bair
Wine guru

Return to The Wine Forum