The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines with the (non-prodigal) son

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Wines with the (non-prodigal) son

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:07 pm

A couple of nights of leftover pork, with slightly different preps to break up monotony. With burritos and crema/salsa, I went pink- A bottle of Guion rose was corked, but the 2012 Arnot Roberts Touriga Nacional rose was not. Cherry blossoms, red fruit, a mineral backbone. B+/B

Back to bo ssam, with the 2011 Foillard “Cote de Py” Morgon. Nicely balanced, fresh red fruits with light smooth tannins, fresh acids,soil notes, good length. B+

Lemon sole en papillote with ginger/scallion/arugula and the 2008 F. Cotat Le Culs de Beaujeau Sancerre. Takes a while to open up, but does so nicely, with vivid acidity under full ripe fruit. Apples and peach, ginger and flint, long and complex. A-

A recent gift of the 2000 Rocher Corbin (Montagne-St. Emilion) still was hanging on to a bit of plummy fruit, but no structure left, a bit formless on the palate. With a bit of time some ashtray notes, send this to the vinegar crock. C+

Despite the Indian summer, I made spaghetti with Italian sausage in tomato sauce, with the 2012 Arianna Occhipinti SP68. Fresh berries, herby, with very good length for a rather lighter styled wine. Quite enjoyable, and holds well over 2 days. B+

Saturday I went to pick up Dave and Mary Kate at JFK, by time I was back just had some gyosa, okra, and leftover wine. Sunday Betsy’s sister and her family came over for a family dinner to welcome Dave back, we started with smoked duck breast canapes, crudite, and caprese, main course was miso-glazed salmon with a Chinese broccoli/sprout/rice noodle dish.

2004 Nicolas Feuillatte Blanc de Blancs Champagne
Lime and Granny smith fruit, not very bready, good crispness, a tad sweet on finish. B

2011 Schafer-Frohlich Bockenaur Riesling Kabinett
Full for kab, this seems to have closed up a bit, but still good fruit, slatey minerals, good acids pulsing underneath. B+/B

2009 Drouhin Morgon
This was rather muted at first, some fruit opened up, but this remained someone stiff and ungiving. Closed? Maybe, but for now C+

1988 Ch. Canon
As a belated birthday celebration for David. Not what I really expected for an ‘88, no apparent tannin, more elegant than burly, fully mature, black and red currant fruit with leather and cigarbox. Ready, willing, able. B+

We also sampled some leftover dessert wine that had been opened (but I forgot to post on) Sunday, the NV Annapolis “White Wedding” wine, a blend from Nova Scotia (brought back by friends who just bought a house there). 65% Reliant (new one for me), rest PG and NY Muscat (?). Peaches/canned peaches, medium sweet, allspice. Interesting flavor profile, could use a bit more zip. B-/C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: Wines with the (non-prodigal) son

by Howie Hart » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:45 pm

Regarding the blend from Nova Scotia, I could not find a reference to "Reliant", but "Reliance" is listed as a labrusca, cold hardy, seedless, tasty table grape. I've never heard of wine made from it either, however, I'm making something similar this year from a green, seedless table grape called "Lakemont". I made some of this several years ago and it was not distinctive - similar to Seyval Blanc, but my kids liked it. I added about 10% each of Vignoles and Cayuga to it, that came from my back yard. It's fermenting now.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:22 pm

I've seen the Drouhin Beaujolais, but do not recall ever tasting one. Any style markers when they are showing well?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:51 pm

Howie, Probably just a misprint, probably is Reliance. Have you heard of New York Muscat as a separate variety than Muscat? It does say 3 Nova Scotia varieties, no not importing grapes. Sure your dessert wine will be interesting

David, to me the Drouhin CB's are a bit like the PNs= aiming for midbodied and elegant, with no apparent wood. I thought this wine was delicious in a sappy way when I had at release, think likely an awkward stage.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:57 pm

NY Muscat is also a labrusca hybrid, black, seeded grape, listed as a table grape, but I have heard of wine being made from it. It was released by Cornell in 1961 and is a cross of Hamburg Muscat (vinefera) x Ontario (labrusca). Apparently it is quite popular as a wine grape in Nova Scotia. http://wine.appellationamerica.com/wine-region/Nova-Scotia.html
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.