The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A really offbeat Italian delights

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN: A really offbeat Italian delights

by Ryan M » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:26 pm

So, first off, who has actually heard of the Ciro DOC or the Gaglioppo grape before? I had never so much as heard of either before it was recommend to me, and the chance to try something completely new is not to be missed. And the result: this Calabrian delight might not be up everyone's alley, but I was quite taken with it, despite a underwhelming showing on night 1.

Librandi, Rosso Classico, Ciro 2010
Ciro is in Calabria, and the grape used is Gaglioppo, neither of which I had heard of before this wine caught my curiosity. Light ruby, not far on from some roses. Heady and aromatic nose of dark fruits, plum, prominent notes of orange, a touch of sweet mint, floral hints, tomato, leathery earth, and cedar. Medium bodied and juicy on the palate, with lots of black cherry and bright plum notes (almost apricot), a prominent note orange zest providing the backbone, mint/cedar, a hint of sweet saddle leather, and earth, all with a very savory, fleshy tone. The mouthfeel and texture are delicious and rather lovely. You could identify this as Italian blind, and it is completely unique, yet a number of its components are rather Bordeaux-ish. Fascinating. Needs a day to really flesh out. The acid structure and balance of this are such that despite its apparent lightness, it should age very nicely for another 5 years or more. I like this quite a lot! This was delightful with spaghetti and meatballs. 3 Stars [9/29/13]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: A really offbeat Italian delights

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:05 am

I have tasted wines from Ciro in the past but no notes I am sorry to say.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:17 am

Interesting, Ryan. I have a Ciro rose' wine from Librandi on hand and may open it soon as we are expecting more hot days in North Carolina this week. I purchased it from a wine retailer in Charlotte in July. Same grape as your red wine.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:08 am

I just opened a Gaglioppo from Statti on Friday but unfortunately it was corked. A previous bottle of Gaglioppo from a different producer was simple but fine enough for a Pizza. Looking for more experience with this grape but not many examples on my local shelves.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:10 am

I've had a couple of Librandi Ciros before. They also make a blend of Gaglioppo and other indigenous varieties which has more staying power (and medium-term aging potential) called 'Magno Megonio.' Not always easy to find, though.
no avatar
User

Thomas G

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm

by Thomas G » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:20 pm

The Statti gaglioppo is a good choice when there's a weak wine list.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Both Librandi and Statti have good lineups. Librandi's Ciro Rosso (have not had the Rosato or Bianco versions yet) is a good value, and the Magno Megonio (100% Magliocco) and Gravello (Gaglioppo/Cab blend) are more structured and serious wines. There is also a very good dessert wine, Le Passule, that is 100% Mantonico Bianco.

Statti's Gaglioppo is nice, but I have found their Greco Bianco and Mantonico Bianco even more interesting. Both get some skin contact, though it is more noticeable in the Mantonico Bianco.

Ippolito 1845 is another very good producer from Calabria.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:36 pm

Surprising - we've got a bit more experience with Ciro around here than I might have expected.

JC (NC) wrote:Interesting, Ryan. I have a Ciro rose' wine from Librandi on hand and may open it soon as we are expecting more hot days in North Carolina this week. I purchased it from a wine retailer in Charlotte in July. Same grape as your red wine.

I imagine a Ciro rose will be lovely stuff - let me know how it turns out!
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:42 pm

As far as I am concerned, southern Italy is shooting up in quality, and Gaglioppo has great promise. I've had examples that were almost Nebbiolo-like.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines