Look for smaller avocados this year.

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Look for smaller avocados this year.

Postby Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:51 pm

However, we should have more available than usual and selling at a better price. Wonder how they will taste?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/08/15/212330603/incredibly-shrinking-avocados-why-this-years-fruit-are-so-tiny
They are coming into San Francisco at this time, have not seen the small ones in our area yet.
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer

Re: Look for smaller avocados this year.

Postby John Treder » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:32 pm

I was in Hiro's, a very good sushi place in Petaluma, a week or two ago, and noticed the chef slicing very small avocados for a California roll. I asked him about it and he shrugged and said, "That's what we're getting."
John in the wine county
John Treder
Zinaholic

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:40 pm

My mind is wandering... is this any kind of opportunity? What prep might one do to a small avocado that you could not do to a big one? Can it be cooked in its skin somehow? Marinated? Peeled differently?
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy

Postby Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:18 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:My mind is wandering... is this any kind of opportunity? What prep might one do to a small avocado that you could not do to a big one? Can it be cooked in its skin somehow? Marinated? Peeled differently?

Not sure, but if we can buy 10 of them for a buck, we'd better start thinking. One way I love to eat them is on buttered toast, just chunked enough to stick to the bread. If I have the time I like to brown the butter first....but mornings are busy so I almost never have time for that. I also halve one, sprinkle Maldon's coarse salt and a good balsamic over the top....that is breakfast too.
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer

Return to The Forum Kitchen