The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Solminer DryRiesling '12...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Solminer DryRiesling '12...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:58 pm

Tried this Fri night w/ friends:
1. Solminer DryRiesling RanchoSisquoc/SantaMariaVlly (98 cs; 13.7%; http://www.Solminer.com) David & Anna deLaski/Lompoc 2012: Med.light color; lovely floral/R/piney some stony/mineral/valve oil quite spicy rather perfumed nose; fairly tart somewhat piney/pineapply/floral/R some stony/mineral totally dry some lean/tight/austere flavor; med. tart/tangy dry somewhat pineapply/floral/R/bit piney light stony/mineral finish; a very nicely done Calif R w/ a nice balance between fruit & minerality w/o straying into the tutti-fruity side; some like an Ojai w/o the screechy acidity, some like the Claibourne&Churchill but w/ more minerality. $26.00
1. I've (now) followed Solminer from the very start. I tried their GruVee at NEB4 and liked it quite a lot, so ordered some of everything they make to try. Couldn't resist cracking one Fri night. David & Anna deLaski, w/ vnyd in LosOlivos. Their background is from Austria & the style shows it. Definitely a wnry to watch.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Solminer DryRiesling '12...(short/boring)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:58 am

Appreciate you promoting Calif Riesling Tom, not that I will ever see much of it up here :lol:.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....

by TomHill » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:03 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Appreciate you promoting Calif Riesling Tom, not that I will ever see much of it up here :lol:.

Yup, Bob....always willing to shill for one of my favorite grapes. I'm rather impressed w/ some/many of the Calif Rieslings I've
been tasting over the last few yrs. With higher acidities and less-to-no RS, they seem to be getting better. But I feel for
the marketing departments who have to sell the stuff.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Solminer DryRiesling '12...(short/boring)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:07 pm

Marketing of BC rieslings could be tricky too but the ones in town here sell pretty well......Cave Spring (Ont), Tantalus, Ex Nihilo etc.