Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Joel Robuchon's Bacon & Potato Gratin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Joel Robuchon's Bacon & Potato Gratin

by Jenise » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:08 pm

Robert J., who has a young son to feed, was asking for recipes the other day, and as I put one of these together today to take to a potluck tonight, it dawned on me that this would be great kid food. I'm reprinting it from the old FLDG for his consideration.

Date: 10-Sep-2005 20:16
Author: Jenise Email
Subject: RC: Bacon, potato and cheese cake (gratin)
View Parent message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This recipe, or more to the point the picture of gleaming, crispy bacon pieces reaching toward the rich yellow potato center in a gleaming copper skillet, has been an object of almost uncontrollable lust for me ever since acquiring Patricia Wells' Simply French book presenting the cuisine of Joel Robuchon.

A few weeks ago I could stand it no more, and boy am I happy that I gave in because the result exceeded expectations in every way. My gratin, thanks to using more bacon than the recipe called for, looked exactly like the picture. EXACTLY. And the taste was pure hog-fat heaven--every bite was ecstasy. A bottle of '96 Du Tertre and a bowl of cold and crispy green salad in a mustard vinaigrette made it a complete and perfect meal.

As main course gratins go, I've never had better. And could it be simpler? Just four ingredients. Here's the recipe, and I've noted my adjustments.

1 tblsp clarified butter (I used olive oil)
6 oz thinly sliced bacon, trimmed of excess fat (I used 12 ounces of center cut)
2.5 lbs baking potatoes (I used five medium russets)
1 1/4 c grated Gruyere cheese (I used Emmenthaler)
Black pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 425 F.

Drizzle the olive oil or butter in the bottom of a baking dish. I used an 8 inch round, two quart gratin dish.

Arrange the bacon in the baking dish so that the pieces will line the inside edge and extend outward away from the dish. Arrange one third of the potato slices in the bottom, then sprinkle with a third of the cheese and a grind of black pepper. Repeat two more times, then fold the overhanging bacon back onto the potatoes. Plan it so that the bacon covers all but a 2" venting hole in the center. Bury any extra or lean trim pieces underneath the folds of bacon or fill any gaps--no need to waste it, and it all turns crisp.

Bake uncovered until the potatoes offer no resistance when pierced with a knife, about 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and pour off the accumulated bacon grease, then allow to rest about 15 minutes. The potato cake can be unmolded to serve or cut into pie wedges and served straight from the dish.

The recipe claims this will make six to eight servings. I disagree; or at least, 6-8 is fine for a side dish portion but as a main course, which is how we ate it, it would barely serve four.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: RCP: Joel Robuchon's Bacon & Potato Gratin

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:53 pm

Y'know how Homer looks when he drools over stuff? That's me right now.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:35 pm

I made this back when you first posted it, Jenise, and it was heavenly. Thanks for the reminder.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:59 am

Thanks, Jenise, for sharing this recipe a second time. I've made it several times since you first posted it -- Janet rations me to no more than once a month -- but it is dead easy and delicious every time. Great cold or re-heated too.

Thanks. Bob
Last edited by Bob Ross on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:26 pm

I made it too, and used cheddar cheese. It was yummy!
no avatar
User

Scott Hinson

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:48 pm

Austin, TX

by Scott Hinson » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:56 pm

Y'know how Homer looks when he drools over stuff? That's me right now.

Homer: So you think you know better than this family, eh? Well as long as you're in my house you'll do what I do and believe what I believe! So butter your bacon!
Bart: Yes father.
Lisa: Mom, dad, my spiritual quest is over!
Homer: Hold that thought... Bacon up that sausage, boy!
Bart: But dad, my heart hurts!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:08 pm

Bob, you're right, the leftovers are a great next-day food. I had some left from last night and broke it into pieces in a small saucepan, then poured scrambled egg, smoked paprika and sliced scallions. Voila--omelette, in the Spanish style.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:26 pm

I can't understand how I missed this thread for so long. My bacon radar must be malfunctioning. I'll have to get that checked out. Thank you so much for thinking of me, Jenise. I am going to make this gratin next week. I think that I can actually get Colin to eat it. It was good to read that another poster had tried cheddar. Colin is not too big on Emmenthaler but he LOVES cheddar. Do you think that it would be good with Black Diamond or Grafton? Those are his favorites. He seems to gravitate to cheeses that cost no less than $13/pound. His all time favorite: Mimolette. And he is only 5. :?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:26 pm

Robert, as the cheese completely disappears into the potatoes, Colin's dislike of Emmenthaler style cheeses won't be a factor, I promise. A cheddar would be no less good, though, just different--just choose a cheese that's creamy when it melts. Some cheddars get rubbery.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:55 pm

Point well taken Jenise. I probably will try it with the Emmenthaler first. Then maybe with the Grafton. It melts well. Thanks again.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:35 pm

Besides subtlety of flavor, the best reason to use Emmenthaler is the lower fat content and lower salt, an advantage considering the contribution the bacon will make to both accounts. Maybe not something you worry about, but worth mentioning!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:57 pm

Another point well taken. Merci.