Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Herbed Cheese Spread

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Herbed Cheese Spread

by Jenise » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:59 pm

This is a Lyonnaise thing I actually remember having there, and loving, though I wasn't entirely certain what it was made out of. This month's Food and Wine has a recipe for it which I made a batch of last night for guests. Everybody loved it. They suggest pureed cottage cheese or quark: I used the former, a low fat organic version, and strained the cheese first thinking I could add moisture back but would never get it out if the cheese was too soupy (whatever happened to the dry cottage cheese of my childhood?--I bought some cottage cheese a few weeks ago that hardly had any curds in it, it was all cream)

Mix:

1 16 oz container low fat cottage cheese, strained and pureed
1 tablespoon finely minced shallots
2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or any other chopped fresh herbs you'd like to play with
1 tsp white vinegar
salt & coarse ground black pepper to taste

Spread on thinly sliced grilled bread (I used sourdough, which really popped the cheese flavor).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: RCP: Herbed Cheese Spread

by Carrie L. » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:02 pm

That sounds good, and actually quite healthy.
I'm imagining it as a layer underneath my wild mushroom spread. Mmmm.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:08 pm

Carrie L. wrote:That sounds good, and actually quite healthy.
I'm imagining it as a layer underneath my wild mushroom spread. Mmmm.

Yes! Good looking too. You could use a small cookie scoop to put a small amount on a side plate for guests, or serve it in small ramekins scraped flat on top and garnished with a little gremolata.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:16 pm

I remember that when visiting Lyon on the way to a trip to Burgundy, one of their regional specialties was a peculiar combination of olive oil and yogurt. Which somehow worked. This is another of those "who would have thunk it" sorts of combinations.

-Paul W.