Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Have you seen the Magic Box?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Have you seen the Magic Box?

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:13 am

A BBQ box made by La Caja China? I saw it being used the other day, very interesting. My first thought was, Oh jeez, how am I going to clean that big metal interior, :roll:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Have you seen the Magic Box?

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:40 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:A BBQ box made by La Caja China? I saw it being used the other day, very interesting. My first thought was, Oh jeez, how am I going to clean that big metal interior, :roll:

5 of my friends and I went in on one of these a number of years ago. They're great fun and work very well for roasting whole pigs. The meat (whole pig, huge turkey, bunch of chickens, whatever) gets butterflied if necessary and clamped between two large metal grates. These go onto a big shallow pan which is lowered into the metal interior. You can also stick a pot of beans or something like that in there. The pan has a couple of handles on it that you use to lower it in and raise it back out again. You do have to wash out that pan but the meat never touches the metal interior, so it stays pretty clean.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:13 pm

We attended Steve Edmund's 60th birthday party in a park near Berkeley a few years ago where the main course was a roast pig cooked in a Caja as described. It was really good and I thought of buying one at the time but like many other things I never got around to it. My eyes are always richer than my wallet and easier to convince of many things. Thank goodness with time my brain kicks in and reason takes over.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:44 am

Thank goodness with time my brain kicks in and reason takes over.

I know how it goes...I am at a point now where I am wondering how to get rid of all the STUFF! Our kids are just way to busy to spend weeks sorting, selling and wondering what to do with this or that. I feel a huge responsibility to help out with this chore. I've seen in our own neighborhood, kids and relatives going through large homes and property.....it takes weeks, sometimes months. :oops: