The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Winery Visit-Loxton in Glen Ellen

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Winery Visit-Loxton in Glen Ellen

by Brian K Miller » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:42 am

Stopped by one of my favorite small wineries, Aussie Expatriot LOXTON on the beautiful Dunbar Road near Glen Ellen. Always friendly people!

The 2009 Zinfandel is pretty convincing to me, even for a non-zinfandel drinker like myself. Spicy, peppery red fruit, balanced alcohol, not much woody/oaky notes. Delicious stuff!

2009 Kick Ranch Syrah was also very appealing, with fine structure, great acidity, and a lovely kick of white pepper and raspberry fruit. Deliciously earthy wine.

The 2009 Grandfather's Cuvee is a blend of "Shiraz" and Cab that was even more convincing. Chris Loxton's cabernet wines have that lovely bell pepper note that I really enjoy in Cabernet when in balance, and this wine was definitely in balance.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: Winery Visit-Loxton in Glen Ellen

by Jon Leifer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Kick Ranch appears to be a great source..Bedrock makes several terrific wines from this source including a really nice Sauv Blanc for those who enjoy pigmentally impaired wines ( I do)
Jon