The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN The Shadow Syrah 2002 an ESJ

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

WTN The Shadow Syrah 2002 an ESJ

by JuliaB » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Holey Moley! Opened last night, never dreamed I would need to decant this wine...the first word out of my mouth was: "HUGE!" Everything about it was HUGE! The nose, the palate..if someone told me it was a 2012 barrel sample, I would have believed it! I almost felt I needed to approach it with tongs and a HAZMAT suit! So, I loosely recorked it, and revisited it tonight. Aaaaaaaaaaahh. What a beauty this Shadow is. Unbelievably vibrant. Slightly clear at the rim, dark as night in the glass. Dark fruit on the nose, with the blackberries predominant. Lovely plum and dark fruitilicious on the palate, makes one sip beg another. Not picking up the pepper characteristic typical of the grape, but there is a pleasant tingle on the finish. I'm glad I have another bottle of this vintage, as it will easily evolve for another five years.

Once again, Steve Edmunds has done it. BTW, the label says it was "Cellared and bottled by Wayward Pilgrims of the Vine" in American Canyon, CA.

JB
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN The Shadow Syrah 2002 an ESJ

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:17 pm

Glad to hear it is still showing well. I drank my last bottle a year or more ago. Great value.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:31 am

I think I finished mine around 2008 and never remember it being 'huge'. But one should never put it past Steve's wines to develop well in bottle. Sounds great.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:40 am

I drank them all as soon as I could get my hands on them! I am glad to know this is developing well. I just have not had enough access to his wines to really test the aging curve.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.