The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Four Picpouls...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Four Picpouls...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:00 pm

I tried over the period of several weeks four Picpouls:
1. Domaine Delsol Picpoul de Pinet Vd'OC: Coteaux du Languedoc (12.5%; www.FoncalieuVignobles.com) Foncalieu/
Arzens 2012
: Pale yellow color; rather floral/aromatic rather stony/metallic/mineral quite perfumed
attractive nose; bit tart rather mineral/metallic/stony/river rocks slight floral/grapefruity flavor; med.
short somewhat tart rather stony/mineral/earthy finish; an altogether pleasant if quotidian Picpoul. $21.00
floral/perrfumed fairly hard/austere flavor; med.long light perfumed talc/floral fairly tart/hard/lean/
earthy/austere finish; speaks of a Languedoc white but doesn't have the bright/zippy character of Pinet
Picpouls; quite an interesting rendition of Picpoul. $25.00
light stony/mineral flavor; very long/lingering perfumed/honeysuckle/peach blossom/GB-like light
stony/mineral finish; much more perfumed/aromatic character than the '11; a lovely bright/zippy/
vibrant Picpoul.
earthy finish; less perfumed/aromatic less GB/Viog-like and much more of the stony/mineral side I expect
in Picpoul.
MattRorick's Forlorn-Hope Picpoul, so I took a btl out there for them to try. We (DarrenDelmore/
MarketingGuy, JasonHaas, and myself) tried them in the tasting room there one afternoon. The '12
was a tank sample and going to be bttld in a few weeks.
The two Tablas Picpouls were pretty much charactteristic of the TC whites; w/ lots of perfume and
fragrance and only hints of the stony/mineral/austere character Picpoul can often show. As expected,
the Forlorn-Hope was a more atypical rendition of Picpoul, a "vin de meditazione", a more rustic
version of Picpoul.
Tom
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Four Picpouls...(short/boring)

by Dale Williams » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:37 pm

$21? $25? Picpoul, the wine of (if not kings at least) the upper middle class.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:29 am

I saw the heading and thought, yes, most picpouls that I've had have been short and boring. :lol:
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:22 am

TomHill wrote:1. The first wine, a new one for me, I tried back in Maine last week....
Tom
I was in Maine last, visiting my sister in York Beach. Best time to go there - after Labor Day.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:41 am

When DID the price of Picpoul go up?

I've had a number of fine examples over the past decade (only from Pinet)--never spent more than $15/bottle.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:42 pm

Thomas wrote:When DID the price of Picpoul go up?

I've had a number of fine examples over the past decade (only from Pinet)--never spent more than $15/bottle.

I paid $9 for the Cantegrils reported on elsewhere
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Just purchased the `12 Domaine Delsol Picpoul for around $20 Cdn. Picpoul is not an easy type of wine to find up here.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Thank you for the notes, again, Tom.

I'm not surprised about the cost of the Tablas Picpouls, but $21 for a Picpoul de Pinet - a pleasant summer sipper, but no more - seems high, unless you ordered this bottle at a restaurant?

Also, just for informational purposes: Picpoul de Pinet was a sub-appellation of Coteaux de Languedoc, but it will now have its very own AOC/(P), without any mention of CdL.

Finally, if anyone has ever had a wine with any significant amount of Picpoul Gris, I would be interested to hear about it.